Gerhard Thyben's Fw190A-8 "Yellow 1"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you! Weal mentions it as "another late war drab finish" and color plate looks more like greens rather than greys.

So looking at the color profile in the book, and other known aircraft here are my options:

1) Overall RLM 83 on the fuselage, RLM 75/83 on the wings.
2) RLM 82/83 on the fuselage, RLM 75/83 on the wings.
3) RLM 82/83 both on the fuselage and the wings.

Please let me know what would be the best match?

Thank you!

CZ

Last edited:
Found this profile at this site http://www.360doc.com/content/12/0516/17/7536781_211471410.shtml

skyhawk_1268.jpg

I don't know how accurate the profiles are

Thanks! Yes, that is the same drawing from the Weal's book. Here.

I also found this photo from the JG54: A Photographic History of the Gruenherzjager by Bob, Trautloft, and Held. The aircraft in the background might be the source.

7 Staffel Thyben JG54 Courland 1945.jpg

Hi,

This aircraft was actually marked 'White 1 + ', and an excellent Simon Schatz colour profile of it is featured in an article I wrote, 'Christmas in Courland' (not sure I'm allowed to include a link, but no doubt if you Google it you'll find the article). Also featured there are a couple of photographs. I received some scans of other photographs of this aircraft from Thyben's son, and will publish them in a book at some point in the future.

The Werknummer was 175 045, and it was painted in greys. Simon's profile is the most accurate rendering I'm aware of. Weal is useful as a basic source, but he does make quite a few errors, this being one of them.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Thank you very much Andrew! Great information. I found the article and will buy it electronically. Looks like a very useful source. I was wondering about this "white 1" because of the photos on the JG54 book. It seems your article also has the same photos. Both Bob, Trautloft, and Held book (pg. 179) and Weal (pg.177) mention that Fritz Hangebrauk (Thyben's wingman) climbs down from "his" 190. That's why I was very confused about it. Is this the aircraft? Also what about the aircraft on the 1000th victory celebration photo? Is that someone else's 190? Also is this "White 1" the same aircraft Thyben flew to score the JG54's last victory on May 8, 1945. Sorry for all the questions! I have started model building after 20 years of hiatus so I am a little bit excited. :)

Best,

CZ

thybenwhite1.jpg

Hi,

Happy to help! Friedrich Hangebrauk borrowed his commander's FW 190 for the Santa Claus flight, so those photos in the Held book are of Thyben's 'White 1 + '. The photos of Hans Thein after claiming the 1,000th victory show a different aircraft. Hans Thein was kind enough to send me copies of his photos of this occasion, but unfortunately they don't reveal the fuselage code. Thein later flew 'White 5 + ' in Courland, so perhaps that is the aircraft seen in those shots.

Enjoy the model building!

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back