German aircraft carrier (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I dont feel so bad with the unfinished projects i have around the house now...

"Graf Zepplin" should be a euphemism for an unfinished job or lack of follow through.

"No Honey, we are not going to install a hot tub. we have too many Graf Zepplins around here. The Gazebo is half finished and Green House is still is missing it's glass panes."

I dont feel so bad with the unfinished projects i have around the house now...

"Graf Zepplin" should be a euphemism for unfinished job or lack of follow through.

"No Honey, we are not going to install a hot tub. we have too many Graf Zepplins around here. The Gazebo is half finished and Green House still is missing it's glass panes."

LOL

Good one, comiso! I've got a few "Graf Zeppelins" myself (psssst, don't bring that up around my wife!).

Heres what my info says I have on the Ju 87 for the aircraft-carrier..

It was a Ju 87C ...It was a B model with modified with catapult gear ,an arrester hook, jettisonable undercarriage for emergency ditching and manually operated rearward folding wings ...Wing span say cut to 43 feet 3 inch..Made in 1939 ...Played with till 42 with flotation catapult and armaments trials they made 186 of the planes ...

And then they picked up the idea again with a Ju 87E that was a navalized D model..With torpedos in mind to ad to the mix.. Never got past a few test planes ... And tested at Travemunde and at the rocket-ressearch facility at Peenemunde-West along side Ju 87C...It was to be the Ju 87 E-1 of 115 on order when stopped in 43 do to cancelled Graf Zeppelin

Some images of the aircraft that might have flown (from Wings Pallette)

Attachments

• FI-167.jpg
    FI-167.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 125
  • JU87T.jpg
    JU87T.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 122
  • ME109T.jpg
    ME109T.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 121
I think one carier would have been next to useless... it would been a bomb magnet like the Bizmark or Tirpitz.

Now if they had 3 or 4 in the Med, The Germans may have held on to North Africa. A lot more supplies would have got through to Rommel. Perhaps American Carriers would have been diverted from the pacific and the war in the Pacific would have been prolonged.

Alas, it means nothing. There was a finite amount of recourses and capability. It's not just about the carriers but all the airplanes, crews, salors and support vessels.

They did the right thing by not developing carriers. They could not have sustained proper deployment or recovered from losses.

One carrier sunk represents a lot of assets on the ocean floor!

i agree on the bomb magnet part and the carrier part to

Just more evidance about how screwed up the chain of command was under Hitler, and how poor planning doomed Germany. In a way, it makes me feel sorry for the common foot soldier having to serve under all this. Egos of superiors getting in the way of common sense decisions. I mean if something as big as a aircraft carrier and the planes to outfit it basically got shut down to serve one mans ego, can you imagine how the far simpler, mundane decisions got handled?

2. Reconnaissance photograph, Feb 1942, Stettin. The carrier moored at Hakenterasse.

1.Reconnaissance photograph late Spring 1943, shortly after the carrier had arrived at Stettin. As British Intelligence had learned that work on the carrier had ceased she was not made a target.

Attachments

• scan0050.jpg
    scan0050.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 101
  • scan0051.jpg
    scan0051.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 87
The Graf Zeppelin's last relocation. Leaving Kiel 21st April 1943.

Attachments

• scan0049.jpg
    scan0049.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 85
1947 anchored on the Oder after being raised. Still festooned with camouflage netting supports. The crane on the starboard side has been temporarily fitted to aid repairs.

These photographs show stories that the carrier was towed a Russian port 1946 where she capsized and was raised again to be nonsense.

Attachments

• scan0046.jpg
    scan0046.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 108
  • scan0047.jpg
    scan0047.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 82
  • scan0048.jpg
    scan0048.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 106
One of the last known photographs of the Graf Zeppelin, 26th July 1947 Swinemunde.

Attachments

• scan0044.jpg
    scan0044.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 96
I think she would have been lovely if she was every completed. It is a shame she was sunk it would have been great to have a look at how the Germans thought and what they tried to implement on their own aircraft carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back