German tyre?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Huffy

Airman
Oct 17, 2005
Shropshire
Hi Folks,I was wondering once again if you could all help identify this tyre that our Recovery group has been given.It would be nice to have it labelled right in the museum! Theory has it to be possibly off a Ju 52 and it was said to have come from nearby Raf Shawbury where at least one German plane was sent for evaluation.Its a Continental ,1400x500.Cheers everyone.

Attachments

• wheels_006_162.jpg
    wheels_006_162.jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 628
Interesting, but I wonder about it's origin. It is labelled "Made in Germany" in English, French and German. If it did come from a JU-52, I would think it would be a post-war tire. Anyone know how long Continental Tire has been in business?

Their must be loads of aircraft with the same tyre size I would say you have a problem and Evan has a valid point regarding the language. Apparently the company was started in 1871.

Well you have a point there,about there being loads of aircraft with the same tyres,but you never know,that might also not be the case.Its a long shot I realise that but maybe someone will have seen similar,somewhere.My concern really was that it was of the period,with some idea as to what it may have been fitted too,before we chuck it!

Having approached Continental directly,a kind gentleman by the name of Mr Swabe informs me that they have no documents /photos ,relating to wartime aircraft tyres themselves ,as they were all destroyed in war damage. :cry:

I have checked the tyre and can find no numbers of any kind on it.
However ,interestingly ,I was attending the East Kirby Home of Just Jane The Lanc that taxis but does not fly, a few days ago, and I noticed that in the hanger ,a mine of artefacts and information,there was a Dornier 17 that had been excavated somewhere close by and on that exhibit was a main tyre ,again a Continental,with Made in Germany in the several languages ,the same ,except it was a 1100x 450 if my memory serves me right.
I didnt take a photo because I had run out of memory in my Digi camera.

Hey Huffy, I am sorry I did some research like you asked me too. I could not come up with anything. It could be post war or war. Continental still makes tires today. I will continue to see what I can find but I can not promise anything.

Just thought I,d put a resized pic or 2 on for those of you without broadband, because the big one takes some downloading I dare say :shock: , The Dornier tyre at East Kirby as I mentioned above was almost the same ,in that it had the Horse motif and the same legend ,in that style,and the numbering (although in a different size-1100 instead of 1450) and the made in, in the same numbers of Languages. The main difference if any apart from the size was the tread consisted of a few Horizontal bars inset on the tyre face, whereas the bigger on of mine is slick.
Sorry to mither you all with this again but I was rather hoping the extra ,smaller pics would bring some results- thanks everyone - see you.

Attachments

• wheels_005__small__188.jpg
    wheels_005__small__188.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 368
  • wheels_006__small__154.jpg
    wheels_006__small__154.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 412
  • wheels_004__small__113.jpg
    wheels_004__small__113.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 371
Cheers DerAdler, I have rotated the pic so its easier to see

Attachments

• wheels_005__small__872.jpg
    wheels_005__small__872.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 341
I think it says C. C. G. P. Co.
then the H. on the bottom, but it looks seperated with * from the rest

did a search for "C. C. G. P. Co. WWII" and came up with the following site about a JU 88 crash, with a tire like the one you have

http://www.arcticwar.com/report_ju88.html

Ju 88: landing gear. Details on the tyre: "C.C. G.P.Co" with a horse in the middle. Also on the tyre: "CONTINENTAL, Made in Germany". Why in English one may wonder?

Happy New Year Folks,Thanks for all your ideas,Have not visited the site for a few weeks . That is a very interesting site Horse.
I think it shows that maybe the predominant tyre fitted to most German warplanes was Continental,what with them being manufactured in Germany, I assume, and as this is the 3rd tyre I have seen now with these side patterns and writing on them. One can quess that perhaps some were made either before the war or if during,the mould for such tyres would have the English and other languages on it ,and they perhaps would not bother to try and alter that,because it would serve no real purpose. :) Thanks again.

( I have been reading a book on Shropshire airfields and have noticed that one of the contributors to that book is in charge of organising reunions of people stationed at RAF Shawbury during the war-perhaps she can find someone who knew what aircraft was there ..!)

horse[USA];132804 said:
I think it says C. C. G. P. Co.
then the H. on the bottom, but it looks seperated with * from the rest
If you would research the history of Continental AG, you would easily find out what the letters stand for: Continental-Caoutchouc- Gutta-Percha Compagnie. The "H" on the bottom stands for the companies main location, Hannover.
The horse symbolises the dynastie of Hannover. Hannover was a kingdom until 1866 with relations to the british dyn. of Windsor, providing some of the british "King Georges".
It's the original company's name. The company still exists.
"Made in Germany" has always been in English, ever since the time it was introduced to brand german products from/ to the britsh market in 18-something. After 1900s it became a label for excellence. Think of Leica, Krupp etc...
Foreign languages on the tire labels were used to easily export products and it was common practice then.
Basicaly it stands for the products the company started with in 1871.
Caoutchouc (caoutchouc, rubber) = raw rubber from the latex tree
Gutta Percha (a pitch derivat) was used as an insulator for electric wirings.

The german tires were usually specified for more then just one type of airplane. That is why it is impossible to connect a tire with a (specific) type.
Although this size reduces the range quite some. It is a bigger a/c...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back