Gloster F.5/34 decals and colour scheme (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
After some contemplation of the high ¥8,207 (CAD $84) delivered cost (pus 13% import VAT) from HLJ.com - The Worlds Largest Online Hobby, Toy and Figure Shop I decided to go ahead and order Planet Models 1:72 resin-cast Gloster F5/34.

240780-17841-19-720.jpg

My goal is to make it a FAA fighter to serve alongside the Blackburn Skua and Fairey Swordfish on HMS Ark Royal. I'm assuming the Gloster F5, having first flown in Dec 1936, enters fleet service around the same time as the Skua (first flight two months later in Feb 1937).

Of course in addition to a hook we need folding wings; so this entails two essentials for cutting resin, first and foremost a ventilator mask (here's mine RANKSING 6200) as resin dust in the lungs can cause Isocyanate asthma - an uncurable lung condition caused by inhaling the dust. I also use this ventilator when I am spray priming my models, you can see my latest project underway here HMS Spartiate by Admiral Beez. Second, you need a very good saw, here's mine ZONA

The kit is pretty basic, with not a lot of parts. see attached pics. While I'd like to think the FAA would have demanded that the protruding undercarriage be revised for a flush surface when retracted, amending this on the model is beyond my capability - we'll just assume some boffin at the FAA thought the undercarriage as is would be useful in deck landings during undercarriage failures - same as on the Douglas TBD Devastator. I'll need to decide on where to cut the wing, ensuring that the overall width does not exceed the narrower 22ft wide lift on HMS Ark Royal.

IMG_20230427_0853088.jpg

You can see they give you the basic decals from the prototype. I'd like to show the Gloster in 1940-41 colour scheme. So, the question is what decals and colour scheme do I use? I was looking at this decal set for the Hawker Sea Hurricane, 1/72 Hawker Sea Hurricane decals - Décals avions au 1/72

However I'm not a big fan of the FAA's interpretation of the RAF camo scheme.

-scale-prs72-383-hawker-sea-hurricane-xbc-168432_1.jpg

So, I prefer #4 above, sort of like what the Skua had, courtesy of Blackburn Skua and Roc colour schemes and markings. But I definitely want the "Royal Navy" call out on the aft fuselage like on the Sea Hurricanes above. And definitely not the half black wing underneath. Thoughts?

skuacamo.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230427_0852547.jpg
    IMG_20230427_0852547.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230427_0854544.jpg
    IMG_20230427_0854544.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230427_0853266.jpg
    IMG_20230427_0853266.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230427_0853178.jpg
    IMG_20230427_0853178.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230427_0853132.jpg
    IMG_20230427_0853132.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IMHO the colours should be the Extra Dark Sea Grey/ Dark Slate Grey on tops and the Sky Grey on undersides. The Black and White halves of the wing at the bottom can be as well. Just like for the Skua in 1940/41. The alternative for the wing undersides can be the Black on the port wing only.

faa.jpg

Regarding the folded wing .. actually you have no choice. Either you will cut the wing directly from the leading edge to the trailing one in a straight line or you will take into account the piece of the area with the part of the flap. The cutting line has to be done at outside of the landing gear leg mount. Anyway the flap may be needed to be divided into two parts.

1261149663_gloster_f5-34.jpg

I'm not sure the "isocyanate asthma" story is correct: polyester resin dust can be an irritant but I've never found a medical report which attributes cured resin or its dust with a long-term health risk.

I'm not sure the "isocyanate asthma" story is correct: polyester resin dust can be an irritant but I've never found a medical report which attributes cured resin or its dust with a long-term health risk.
That's good to know. It's one of those things I've seen on modelling forums.

Thanks Wurger Wurger that's great info above.

Last edited:
Regarding the folded wing .. actually you have no choice. Either you will cut the wing directly from the leading edge to the trailing one in a straight line or you will take into account the piece of the area with the part of the flap. The cutting line has to be done at outside of the landing gear leg mount. Anyway the flap may be needed to be divided into two parts.

View attachment 717703
I think my limited hand saw skills will make the straight cut the only path.

I see. Certainly the straight cut is the easiest one. But cutting it together with the part of the flap isn't difficult as it is believed. IMHO the main thing is the way the wing external parts are going to be folded. The cutting along the straight line allows to make them folded as the F4U Corsair had. I mean folding up at the top hinge without the rotation. Or like for the F4F Wildact or F6F Hellcat folding back with rotation. It looks like the second way would be better solution for the wing with the part of the flap cut.

corsair_a.jpg

corsair_b.jpg

wildcat_a.jpg

hellcat_a.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Nice pics, and thanks. I would ideally like to go with the reverse Skua-like fold. Every British single-engined ICE-powered carrier fighter except the Sea Fury and Seafire/Seafang utilized a rearward fold, which would better accommodate HMS Ark Royal's low hangar ceiling. I could cut the wing, leaving the flap (like on the Firebrand) and facilitate rearward fold - I can imagine inserting a universal hinge into the wing root.

Sounds good. Also it may be like for the Fairey Firefly T.7 if you want to have the flap as one long part. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Skua ...
skua.jpg

Fairey Firefly ...
ff.jpg

the pic source: the net.

My advanced modeller friend is going to take my wing section and create a rubber mold for creating a few resin casts. This way I don't have to cut the actual wing and potentially screw it up. I'm also considering to use this opportunity to redesign the undercarriage on one casting to a flush fit on the next/final casting.

Provided I can affix it without glue, I could also make two wings to swap out, one to show folded the other unfolded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back