Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh ya, a few more that pop up constantly on a certain social media page, and I have become weary of correcting...

-Spitfires were only capable of 369 mph, and thus completely incapable of intercepting V1's
(Googling "Spitfire top speed" will provide that completely arbitrary figure)

-All Japanese fighters were flimsy, and lacked armor protection whereas all American fighters were well armored and essentially flying tanks.

...that the Allies' aircraft were universally inferior and just produced in such vast quantities that they won merely by attrition
...that USAAF day bombers were significantly more accurate and precise than RAF night bombers
...that Hitler cost Germany the war and they would have won had he just gave the generals their head

I think these are "The Big Three".

British-produced Merlins were hand-crafted until the US auto industry showed the Brits how to set up a production line. Oh...and Packard-built Merlins were better than RR-built Merlins.
We can't make any conclusions on reliability after so many decades, but when Canada's Avro Lancaster flew in the UK it suffered a catastrophic engine failure. The RAF Memorial Flight loaned the Canadians a spare RR Merlin while the Brits rebuilt the Packard engine - that's the difference between a private museum and a well funded MoD. I wonder how often a Lancaster (or any aircraft) flew with a mix of RR and Packard engines.

Canadian Lancaster warplane — one of only two remaining — effectively stranded in U.K. after engine failure | National Post

On a related note, was Whistling Death for the Corsair a "Caidinism" as well?
Whistling Death was used by Americans/Allies.
The Japanese were not prone to glorifying anything of their enemies.
Same goes for the Beaufighter and it's nickname of "Whispering death".

Typically, if an enemy named something belonging to their adversary, it was un-flattering, like the name "Nacht Hexxen" the Germans gave to the Soviet Women who flew nigh harassment missions over German lines. Back then, calling a woman a witch was the equivellent of using the "C" word in today's world.

Last edited:
Would be calling a Supermarine MKXXI Potato a Spitfire the same thing?

It did a shake down flight and flew over my mothers house as we set off to her brothers funeral, he was ex RAF Bomber command, a very, very strange experience.

Users who are viewing this thread