Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Harmon Rocket is an add-on kit to a Vans RV-4 and the F1 Rocket is a Czech-manufactured kit. By kit, I mean you assemble it, or you can get a quick-build version with more done for you, at a cost ... of course.

If you are a pilot, you owe it to yourself to beg a ride in a Van's RV with at least a 180 hp engine in it. If you have the chance, get a ride in a Harmon Rocket or F1 Rocket and you'll WANT one! Badly!

Here's a video of a flight in an F1 Rocket:

View: https://youtu.be/P18U-j7HTdc

Looks like fun, but also very dangerous to be that low to the ground, especially doing rolls. The tail camera is on a boom and it LOOKS like the fin is shaking, but it isn't. It's the camera boom shaking. I'd go sightseeing, but not quite that low. At least, that's what I think now. After getting used to one, it might be different. But I get the feeling if you do that very often, you'll be accounted for in some statistic about controlled flight into terrain or maybe low-altitude aerobatics incident.

I can't say I haven't done a bit of low-altitude aero, but it was 40 years ago, when I wasn't quite as worried about ADSB. Might not do that today, even if I were alone and in an F1 Rocket.

Last edited:
Zippythehog said:
AFAIK, turbine engines are the motive force that turns propellers on airplanes. At least that was the case for the King Airs I've flown.
Yo Zip, Those King Airs were turbo-prop powered. That is a different powerplant than what we're discussing here.
Your King Air engines were more akin to a jet engine.
The engines we're discussing here are internal combustion reciprocating engines. Kinda like the one in your car.
You can artificially force air into the internal combustion engine through means of somekind of "blower", whether its Rootes-style, or centrifical.
The more air you can force into an engine, the more fuel you can add to it. More air and fuel creates more power, and (literally) away you go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back