Greek Cypriot soldier here

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Chocks, how are you? Hows being in the army treating you?

I saw your post while trying to find things out about Cyprus.... it isnt as easy as it seems though because I still dont know what I want to know. Thought maybe you could help me out?? :|

I been to Paphos, Cyprus 5 times now and absolutely love it! But now curiousity is gettin the better of me!

Why do you (cypriots) have to serve in the army if your not in education? and does it apply to the females aswell? I kinda guessed maybe its because of what happened with the Turks and Northern Cyprus....

And secondly..... .I was driving down the road in the late afternoon, there was a massive crowd of people (greek cypriots) stood outside a church. There were a few guys dressed like priests walking infront of some sailors and people smartly dressed.....

One of the priests was holding a picture and one was carrying, what looked like a candle lantern, with dust coming out of it. What did I witness?? It looked very dramatic!! Kinda scared me :(

www.myspace.com/ladyryda2006

LADYxxRYDA said:
Why do you (cypriots) have to serve in the army if your not in education? and does it apply to the females aswell? I kinda guessed maybe its because of what happened with the Turks and Northern Cyprus....

What you just described is called conscription. Conscription as a matter of fact is conducted in most European Countries. For instance in Germany all males must either be in university, conducting civil service, or be conscripted into the miliatary for a minimum of 18 months.

Known as National Service in Great Britain. We don't have it anymore, which is a shame because it kept the country smart.

It does improve how people are. Instills a bit of discipline. We had it up until 1950s. You had to serve the military for two years.

One of the biggest deterrents to streetgangs in the US was the draft. When the draft ended in the US streetgangs and streetgang violence statistics went through the ceiling. Shortly after this time the Crips and Bloods came on scene...

It makes me wonder how things might be today if there was a draft but then career soldiers currently in the military would have to deal with these little knuckleheads raised by crackparents and having the reading level of a second grader....

Yes, you ahve to register with the Selective Service. Don't worry, they will screw it up. True, but funny story. I got a piece of mail at my home address that my parents forwarded to me at Lackland AFB. The Selective Service board sent me a nastygram that I had not registered for Selective Service. Being the good soldier, I took it to my drill instructor, who laughed his *** off, then asked "Then what the hell are you doing here??". We both got a chuckle out of it. He forwarded it up the chain of command and I never heard from them again. :evil4:

It's a simple form you can fill out at the post office or DMV and it takes all of about 2 minutes, 5 if you write real slow.

FLYBOYJ said:
It makes me wonder how things might be today if there was a draft but then career soldiers currently in the military would have to deal with these little knuckleheads raised by crackparents and having the reading level of a second grader....

:lol:

We still have to deal with those people without the draft!

You can now sign up for the Selective Service online. That is how I did it years ago.

Once you join the military though, your Selective Service is negated and you dont ever have to worry about the Draft again, even after your service is over.

Yeap either after Highschool or when you turn 18. If you graduate at 17 like I did, you dont have to sign up for the Selective Service until you are 18.

P38 Pilot said:
Your right. Street violence would end. Is it true that in the U.S when you turn 18 you have to sign a draft card in case there is another draft?

That is true - you must legally register for the draft when you turn 18. I vaguely remember filling the form out back when I was 18. But hey, they didn't need to draft me!

Hey Chocks, when I was doing entry level officer training in Virginia, we got to do call for fire exercises where we used grid coordinates to call an initial barrage, then used fire control to adjust the fire. We were firing at old tank and amphib assault vehicle hulks. I remember the rush when you hit that thing dead on! We also got to join the arty crew and load the rounds and pull the lanyard to fire these old US M3 105mm howitzers! Arty is a hell of a workout.

Its OK it all balances out. Now that I have had jury duty four times in 3 years I have been able to equalize the gang and drug threat in the coolest way. I was drafted in 1964 but wound up in the Seabees in Danang and other parts of Vietnam in 66/67. So its my turn now!!!

My grandfather was from Cyprus (b. 1921, d. 2002)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back