Greyhound movie trailer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have seen Greyhound 3 times now. :) My friends keep wanting to see it so I invite them over. I guess I should just invite all of them, charge admission and cook up concessions.

Really good movie.

I still have not seen it, but the trailer shows a scene where the U-Boot commander is speaking to the Destroyer over the intercom system or something. That is just pure hollywood and laughable at best. :lol:

I still look forward to seeing it though.

German commander speaks via radio and he does that three times, as I remember. Probably it's taken from the book? I never read it.
It should be technically possible, I guess. But the implementation is really "hollywood", evil Nazi who acts as ... really evil Nazi.

Real story:
Soviet merchant ships carried special UHF equipment called Akatsia which was to be used strictly for communication with the Soviet Navy and Air Force. The box was super-secret, the radio officer needed special approval for any maintenance/repair and quartz crystals were changed on a regular basis. It was closed in a special case and sealed when the vessel was in the territorial waters of other countries. One day (in 1988, I guess) our ship sailed right into the area of US-South Korean drills. Once we approached the perimeter of a carrier group we were called on international UHF channel (via normal "civilian" radio) by US destroyer. Since we were slow to respond, they called us again... this time on the super-secret frequency of Akatsia. That was very convincing.

German commander speaks via radio and he does that three times, as I remember. Probably it's taken from the book? I never read it.
It should be technically possible, I guess. But the implementation is really "hollywood", evil Nazi who acts as ... really evil Nazi.

Real story:
Soviet merchant ships carried special UHF equipment called Akatsia which was to be used strictly for communication with the Soviet Navy and Air Force. The box was super-secret, the radio officer needed special approval for any maintenance/repair and quartz crystals were changed on a regular basis. It was closed in a special case and sealed when the vessel was in the territorial waters of other countries. One day (in 1988, I guess) our ship sailed right into the area of US-South Korean drills. Once we approached the perimeter of a carrier group we were called on international UHF channel (via normal "civilian" radio) by US destroyer. Since we were slow to respond, they called us again... this time on the super-secret frequency of Akatsia. That was very convincing.
Were you in the Soviet Navy?

Were you in the Soviet Navy?
My service in the Soviet Navy was short and only for the training (on submarines, by the way). Then I served in the Merchant Marine. From time to time, captains of Soviet merchant vessels were requested by military supervisors to do some missions as sailing into the drills areas, to shadow NATO ships, etc.

My service in the Soviet Navy was short and only for the training (on submarines, by the way). Then I served in the Merchant Marine. From time to time, captains of Soviet merchant vessels were requested by military supervisors to do some missions as sailing into the drills areas, to shadow NATO ships, etc.
Is submarine duty all volunteer in the Soviet navy?

Is submarine duty all volunteer in the Soviet navy?

Good question... On diesel submarines and in the 1970s-1980s, it was not. Not sure about other periods and about nuclear-powered boats.
Probably, submarine fleet was mostly volunteering in 1920s and in the early 1930s before the rapid expansion has begun.
Actually, the definition of "volunteer" in the USSR was special. When we learned about intervention to Afghanistan from BBC and Radio Liberty, our newspapers said that there were mostly "volunteers" who arrived in Kabul to help to build more schools and hospitals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back