Ground crew training (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jenisch

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2011
Those guys usually pass unnoticed, but definately everyone recognizes the value of them and their working installations (maintenence parks and things of the sort). At least for the US and British mechanic, how much time it took for a mechanic to complete it's training and be assigned to an airbase? I suppose that air forces picked up a lot of automobile mechanics when recruting people for this sort of work...

Depends on his job specialty. They weren't all the same. You've got aircraft mechanics, sheet metal mechanics, aviation electricians, armorers etc.

you are thinking too logically.

My Father had gone to an aviation school for 6 months to be a mechanic in 1940, He worked for Sikorsky on flying boats and Chance-Vaught on the Corsair production line. When his aircraft deferment ran out he joined the Marines, the service using the most Corsairs at the time. On Completion of basic training they made him a signalman. You figure it out.

I am thinking about how things work in logically organized military forces. Perhaps that doesn't apply to the WWII era USMC. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back