Ground crew training

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Jenisch, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Jenisch

Jenisch Active Member

Those guys usually pass unnoticed, but definately everyone recognizes the value of them and their working installations (maintenence parks and things of the sort). At least for the US and British mechanic, how much time it took for a mechanic to complete it's training and be assigned to an airbase? I suppose that air forces picked up a lot of automobile mechanics when recruting people for this sort of work...

2. davebender

davebender Well-Known Member

Depends on his job specialty. They weren't all the same. You've got aircraft mechanics, sheet metal mechanics, aviation electricians, armorers etc.

3. Shortround6

Shortround6 Well-Known Member

retired Firefighter
    you are thinking too logically.

My Father had gone to an aviation school for 6 months to be a mechanic in 1940, He worked for Sikorsky on flying boats and Chance-Vaught on the Corsair production line. When his aircraft deferment ran out he joined the Marines, the service using the most Corsairs at the time. On Completion of basic training they made him a signalman. You figure it out.

4. davebender

davebender Well-Known Member

I am thinking about how things work in logically organized military forces. Perhaps that doesn't apply to the WWII era USMC. :)