Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arlo Gunthrie references earn you a Bacon!

The Norway debate did not cause the resignation of Chamberlain .
All of these "facts?" to be taken at face value without supporting evidence or credible citations? Methinks I smell a credibility gap here.

The Russian airforce did not better with LL aircrraft than without LL aircraft .
LMAO!!!

Russia had also reserves of armoured plate

LMAO!!

Oh My God - these two comments simply blow me away.

These are so far into the realm of "absolutely not true" that they can easily fall into the "made up bullshit in order to impress uninformed people on social media" category.

Just stop, FFS.

Steel plate is a natural by product of mining treacle, the Siberian treacle wars of the 1920-30s left huge reserves, internet FACT.

1) This is a question you have been asked before.
Question - If you have lost control of the sea, how do the vast forces needed to control the UK let alone a second front get to the UK?

2) The Russian airforce didn't need LL aircraft. This leads to question 2
Question - If the Russian airforce didn't feel the need for LL aircraft, Why did Stalin himself press for the delivery of P39 and Spitfire aircraft?

3) Zhukov was removed as Chief of Staff correct. He also was responsible for the defence of many Russian cities, the planning and execution of major key battles such as Kursk and the Battle for Berlin amongst many others. Stalin recognised that he had such an influence on the war that he chose him to accept the German surrender. This leads to question 3
Question - Now if I had to choose between his views on a Russian military topic or yours, tell us all why we should listen to you?

4) Russia had reserves of armour plate. I admit to being surprised that even you cannot see how false this statement is. However I certainly could be wrong on this so I ask this question
Question - Can you tell me what the reserves were that would enable Russian industry to operate for four years of war.
PS I did supply a Russian source for my original comments on the volume of raw materials and its only fair that we ask you to supply similar evidence for your comments.

This goober insists that the Marines could invade the Shetlands, occupy Britain and invade the continent. Upon further research (which he could do), I have found the number of Marines in Iceland was 3908 while they were accompanied by 2659 Canadians. If we add these to the 22,000 British also on the island, why.... I don't see any reason we couldn't begin the invasion immediately.

The best thing to do with armour plate is to stockpile it. If you build tanks out of it you would have tanks and no stockpile of out of date metal that is the wrong thickness, as Napoleon said, an army sits on its stockpiles.

You were saying that the Allies were hustled out of Norway .And, this is not correct : they were not hustled out of Norway during the Norway debate .

I stand corrected on that.

Chamberlain did not mismanage the war, everything went good .

I disagree with this.

The fact that he won the vote meant that his goose was not cooked .

Chamberlain read the tea-leaves differently, obviously, because he resigned the day after that division took place. I think his judgement trumps yours in this matter.

Last edited:
There are several possible scenarios for the US Marines advancing through Scotland. None good.

1. In an attempt to "live off the land" (a favorite of this poster) the US marines encounter Haggis and beat a hasty retreat back to Iceland.

Alternative.
While "living off the land" the US marines stop at Scottish pubs and attempt to out drink the locals. The Marine force simply fades away doing the equivalent of a 240 mile pub crawl.
The ones that have traded their rifles for Scotch whisky wind up married to the local girls.

Marines take 20% casualties trying to beat the Scots at caber tossing

FYI : I did NOT say that they could occupy Britain ( they would liberate Britain ) ,neither did I say that the US Marines would invade the continent .

The Allies never lost the control of the sea .
Stalin asked IN 1941 ! for delivery of P 39 and Spitfires (did he receive Spitfires ? )on the advice of his generals and he got P 39 because
a they were available
b Britain wanted to get rid of them .
c because in the Summer of 1941 the Red Air Force had suffered big losses .
But that does not mean that without these aircraft the USSR would have lost the war :
aircraft had only a subordinate role in the East
fighters were subordinated to bombers .
What Zhukov said about LL is worthless,because when the military LL deliveries arrived, Zhukov was no longer chief of staff .He was chief of staff during 6 months only .
Only his successors (Shaposhnikov and Vasilevsky ) could know the importance of LL .Zhukov was a front general, as Montgomery , and Montgomery also had no knowledge of the military LL deliveries to UK.

Users who are viewing this thread