Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If he didn't step down after losing a motion of no confidence he surely would have been sacked by the King soon after?
The King may theoretically have that power but it would be like getting a dog and barking yourself. It is a mistake to view the numbers in a commons vote just as "numbers". Everyone knows everyone. It is perfectly possible to vote for someone on the understanding that he steps down. That means he doesnt have the humiliation of losing, remember he was Tory leader as well as PM, publicly voting against him is an act of disloyalty, which most would want to avoid.

And the Norway Campaign (for which was responsible Churchill ) did last to 10 JUNE .

Did I write anywhere that it ended by the beginning of May?

This pettifoggery of yours is sad. Your need to be Right-Online® is even sadder. Chamberlain's government mismanaged the war, and he was losing the confidence of Parliament. Even though he won the vote, he still understood, unlike you, that his goose was cooked.

It won't be long before you're reduced to pointing out spelling errors.

Feeling ill and being ill are two different things .
I stick to my point that you do not become terminal ill in a few days .
You can be terminally ill and not feel ill, or more likely in this case, the symptoms are so small and easily misinterpreted you do not know you are seriously ill. In which case as you and those around you will not take actions because they believe you are seriously ill.
There are conditions, a number in fact where you can become terminally ill in a few days
Is there anything in your world that isnt a myth? You know less than someone who has just watched The Battle of Britain.
I think you got this the wrong way around. Everything in his world is a myth, what is missing is any reality.

Remember this is the person who

a) Believes a handful of US Marines in Iceland can take the Shetland islands, Invade Scotland, take the rest of the UK, build up the resources to launch a second front all without control of the Atlantic.
b) That the Russian forces didn't need the LL to survive and beat the Germans. That the LL aircraft would be too much for the Soviet Union to train pilots and engineers to fly and maintain them, despite the fact the rather obvious fact, that they did train the pilots to fly and engineers to maintain them.
c) That no one was asking for the P39 as they wouldn't be needed as the front line was so vast there was little air to air combat. To be fair after the memo from the British Archives showing that Stalin was personally asking for P39's and Spitfires, he did stop talking about that
d) That Russia's admittedly prodigious efforts to build armoured vehicles wouldn't have been impacted buy the loss of LL, despite LL supplying half of the armoured plate
e) That Marshal Zhukov views can be ignored as he clearly had no idea of what he was talking about
f) That radar in the BOB had a grossly exaggerated importance because it pointed out to sea, whilst ignoring all the other benefits of Radar and the existence of the Observation Corp and ignoring any half way decent history of the BOB arguably the most researched and documented air battle ever.
g) Is now a medical expert who knows about terminal illness, its effects and when people are aware of it. The one statement of his that came close to really annoying me as I am a counsellor and regularly have clients who are terminally ill, including two who have had Bowel Cancer.
h) feel free to add your own as there are plenty of other examples

Last edited:

a) Believes a handful of US Marines in Iceland can take the Shetland islands, Invade Scotland, take the rest of the UK, build up the resources to launch a second front all without control of the Atlantic.
b) That the Russian forces didn't need the LL to survive and beat the Germans. That the LL aircraft would be too much for the Soviet Union to train pilots and engineers to fly and maintain them, despite the fact the rather obvious fact, that they did train the pilots to fly and maintain them.
c) That no one was asking for the P39 as they wouldn't be needed as the front line was so vast there was little air to air combat. To be fair after the memo from the British Archives showing that Stalin was personally asking for P39's and Spitfires, he did stop talking about that
d) That Russia's admittedly prodigious efforts to build armoured vehicles wouldn't have been impacted buy the loss of LL, despite LL supplying half of the armoured plate
e) That Marshal Zhukov views can be ignored as he clearly had no idea of what he was talking about
f) That radar in the BOB had a grossly exaggerated importance because it pointed out to sea, whilst ignoring all the other benefits of Radar and the existence of the Observation Corp and ignoring any half way decent history of the BOB arguably the most researched and documented air battle ever.
g) Is now a medical expert who knows about terminal illness, its effects and when people are aware of it. The one statement of his that came close to really annoying me as I am a counsellor and regularly have clients who are terminally ill, including two who have had Bowel Cancer.
At least he sometimes comes back after criticism of his assertions with more detailed "information" attempting to gloss over his earlier errors, indicating he must be doing at least some remedial reading. This is not a bad thing; maybe a decade or two of this could lead to some revelations.

At least he sometimes comes back after criticism of his assertions with more detailed "information" attempting to gloss over his earlier errors, indicating he must be doing at least some remedial reading. This is not a bad thing; maybe a decade or two of this could lead to some revelations.

Well, after countless posts filled with shifting positions (ad nauseam), we were treated to this startling revelation:
And Wiki is wrong

Get a large piece of paper (A roll of wallpaper might suffice) and do the following

i) On the left hand side list the things where he has modified his statements, or thoughts
ii) Book a week off work
iii) on the right hand side write the things down where he hasn't modified his thoughts, statements, supplied evidence, simply stopped commenting on a something he has clearly said or stated

Did I write anywhere that it ended by the beginning of May?

This pettifoggery of yours is sad. Your need to be Right-Online® is even sadder. Chamberlain's government mismanaged the war, and he was losing the confidence of Parliament. Even though he won the vote, he still understood, unlike you, that his goose was cooked.

It won't be long before you're reduced to pointing out spelling errors.
You were saying that the Allies were hustled out of Norway .And, this is not correct : they were not hustled out of Norway during the Norway debate .
Chamberlain did not mismanage the war, everything went good .
The fact that he won the vote meant that his goose was not cooked .

Well, after countless posts filled with shifting positions (ad nauseam), we were treated to this startling revelation:
"And Wiki is wrong."

Well, so is a well ballasted ship that rolls 32° in a typhoon, but does it stay wrong? No, it rolls back upright again. And like a well ballasted ship, Wiki has self-righting tendencies built in. It's the nature of open source information sources.
I was aghast to see that the airport I soloed at in 1970 came into being in 1972 according to Wiki. So I submitted a revision. Asked for documentation, I sent a photocopy of the appropriate page in my logbook "marked with circles and arrows pointing to the evidence of the crime" (Thank you Arlo Guthrie!)
Revision denied due to "insufficient and possibly fabricated evidence". I was asked to provide verifiable published or public record citations to back my claim. Eventually a citizen of the county the airport was located in provided records of a change from municipal to county ownership and a name change that would have registered the earlier history of the airfield undetectable to the uninformed internet searcher.
"Slowwly...slowwwly up she rises" and returns to an even keel. But much too slowly for some impatient souls.

Last edited:
You can be terminally ill and not feel ill, or more likely in this case, the symptoms are so small and easily misinterpreted you do not know you are seriously ill. In which case as you and those around you will not take actions because they believe you are seriously ill.
There are conditions, a number in fact where you can become terminally ill in a few days

I think you got this the wrong way around. Everything in his world is a myth, what is missing is any reality.

b) That the Russian forces didn't need the LL to survive and beat the Germans. That the LL aircraft would be too much for the Soviet Union to train pilots and engineers to fly and maintain them, despite the fact the rather obvious fact, that they did train the pilots to fly and engineers to maintain them.
h) feel free to add your own as there are plenty of other examples
Who would stop the Marines ,if there was no German occupation army ? Maybe the Bobbies ?
The Russian airforce did not better with LL aircrraft than without LL aircraft .
Zhukov was not chief of staff when the LL deliveries arrived,he had been fired for incompetence following Stalin .
Russia had also reserves of armoured plate

The Norway Debate, sometimes called the Narvik Debate, was a momentous debate in the British House of Commons during the Second World War from 7 to 9 May 1940. It has been called the most far-reaching parliamentary debate of the twentieth century. At the end of the second day, there was a division of the House[a] for the members to hold a vote of no confidence which was won by the government, but with a drastically reduced majority. That led, on 10 May, to Neville Chamberlain's resignation as prime minister and the replacement of his war ministry by a broadly based coalition government which, under Winston Churchill, governed the United Kingdom until after the end of the war in Europe in May 1945.

The Norway debate did not cause the resignation of Chamberlain .

Get a large piece of paper (A roll of wallpaper might suffice) and do the following

i) On the left hand side list the things where he has modified his statements, or thoughts
ii) Book a week off work
iii) on the right hand side write the things down where he hasn't modified his thoughts, statements, supplied evidence, simply stopped commenting on a something he has clearly said or stated
It's lopsided, I know, I was just trying to point to the possibility of some future redemption.
Our mission, if we chose to accept it, is to defang trolls, offer them a path to re-education, and perhaps, to redemption.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back