Gunsight evolution / history

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tnevo

Recruit
Sep 8, 2007
Hello all,
I am searching for information which describes the development of theses systems, from a simple mechanical system to the first integrated HUD (head up display) that we know today in fighter aircraft.
Does anyone know of books, websites, essays?
Thank you,
Tsachy Nevo.

Hi Tsachy,

Now that is a very good question. Off hand I know of no such resource. It will be interesting to see if any one else does.

Hi Nevo,

>I am searching for information which describes the development of theses systems, from a simple mechanical system to the first integrated HUD (head up display) that we know today in fighter aircraft.
Does anyone know of books, websites, essays?

The head-up display was invented after WW2 by the RAF test pilot Mike Crosley, then "on loan" to Shorts Brothers, who patented the sight but never implemented one, finally letting the patent lapse because they didn't believe it was worth anything.

Mike Crosley describes this story in his book "Up in Harm's Way". The appendix features a reproduction of the patent application.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Last year I saw a website about the evolution of gunsights. I can't google it right now but I saved it on my other computer... which isn't working at the moment. Tnevo, remind me of it in a couple of weeks, and I'll definitely be able to send you that page. Was quite informative!

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back