Halifax Mk query (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LukeAT

Recruit
Aug 13, 2022
Hi all, new here and hoping someone can help. I'm trying to find out about the appearance of Halifax F-Freddie of 158 Squadron, DT-635, lost in April 1943. From looking online it seems this aircraft was part of order B982938/39 from English Electric. Would anyone know the appearance of this aircraft in terms of turrets and so on? I believe it is the same era as the wrecked Halifax now at Hendon that has the front turret (not glazed nose) and mid upper, but I'm keen to confirm this. Cheers!

Hi all, new here and hoping someone can help. I'm trying to find out about the appearance of Halifax F-Freddie of 158 Squadron, DT-635, lost in April 1943. From looking online it seems this aircraft was part of order B982938/39 from English Electric. Would anyone know the appearance of this aircraft in terms of turrets and so on? I believe it is the same era as the wrecked Halifax now at Hendon that has the front turret (not glazed nose) and mid upper, but I'm keen to confirm this. Cheers!

Apart from the Britmodeller thread.

Go to The National Archives | Discovery Advanced Search Form and use the search string
158 Squadron records
plus put in the year 1943, when the results come up add the filter available for download, you can find the records of events for April 1943, which can be read online through watermarks. The crew list on 3 April 1943 was

F/L. J.D. Cole Captain
Sgt. R. Gowing Flight Engineer
P/O. R.C. Stemp Navigator
Sgt. B.J. Warr Air Bomber
Sgt. A. Ward Wireless Operator
Sgt. W.A. Robinson Mid Upper Gunner
Sgt. C.G. Dawson Rear Gunner.

Whether the front turret had been removed, or never fitted is unknown but it clearly still had the mid upper.

Theo Boiten in Nachtjagd War Diaries matches the loss of DT635 to the 47th claim by Major Werner Streib, Stab I/NJG1.

Hello,

I have researched the Stuttgart raid on 14/15 April 1943 and the configurations of Halifax bombers in spring 1943.

Regarding the 3/4 April Essen operation, the Bomber Command Night Raid Report records that 103 "Halifax IIZ" - Halifax II Series 1 (Special) - and 10 "Halifax IA" - Halifax II Series IA (in the HR serial range) - were engaged. From this, we may deduce that DT635 was in the former ("Halifax IIZ") configuration with faired over front and dorsal turret positions. The fact that the crew includes a Mid-Upper Gunner does not imply there was a dorsal turret. During this period, the additional gunner was looking after the underside of the bomber from an observation blister aft of the bomb bay, that may be seen on several photographs. While Halifax II Series 1A were from the beginning equiped with a four-gun Boulton-Paul Type A dorsal turret, the Mk II Series 1 (Special) started to received this turret (on an elevated fairing) only in May-June 1943.

Incidentally, it seems that DT635 was one of the last Halifax II Series 1 (special) used by No 158 Squadron, as this unit was completely re-equiped with Mk II Series 1A in mid-April 1943.

You may find more details on my website at Un jour en avril. The text is in French but it can be easily translated with web tools.

Best wishes,

Jérémie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back