HAPPY 4TH, U.S.A.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most Americans have no idea what actually happened during those days in July of 1776.
On July 1, 1776, the Second Continental Congress met in Philadelphia to take up the issue of Independence. That night word arrived that British Ships and troops had landed in New York.

On July 2nd 12 of the 13 colonies (New York's delegates didn't officially give their support until July 9 because their home assembly hadn't yet authorized them to vote in favor of independence)voted in favor of Richard Henry Lee's motion for independence.

John Adams wrote to his wife, Abigail.
"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America," Adams wrote. "I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival…It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

July 3rd was spent by the delegates debating and revising the language of a statement drafted by Thomas Jefferson.

On July 4th after several more small changes were made the Continental Congress delegates officially adopted the Declaration of Independence.
However, nearly a month would go by before the actual signing of the document took place.

It would take two weeks for the Declaration to be written on parchment in a clear hand. When this "engrossed" document was ready it would be signed by most of the delegates on August 2, but several delegates had not waited around for the official document: Elbridge Gerry, Oliver Wolcott, Lewis Morris, Thomas McKean and Matthew Thornton would eventually sign it on a later date and two others, John Dickinson and Robert R. Livingston, would never sign.

One signer, Richard Stockton, a lawyer from Princeton, New Jersey, became the only signer of the Declaration of Independence to recant. On November 30, 1776, the he was captured by the British and thrown in jail. After months of harsh treatment and meager rations, he repudiated his signature on the Declaration of Independence and swore his allegiance to King George III.

in all seriousness, who is writing his speeches as they are making him look foolish or does he just say what comes into his head ?

i've seen somewhere he also mentioned something from a completely different conflict in his speech.

I don't think he is capable of keeping attention longer than 2 minutes for something. I doubt his speechwriter wrote this (but then again based on the qualifications (or lack thereof) of other admin members, who knows). I think he just mumbled off on a sidebar and said what he wants. Probably just to hear himself...

That is the last I will say though. We have a no politics rule, and I will not break that rule.

Misspoken words in political, or other, speeches is not rare nor unique. Making humor of those errors makes the world a more fun place, politicizing those errors does the opposite.

And unfortunately that is exactly what happens regardless of the person in office. Neither side of the spectrum is immune or excempt, despite the fact that they think they are.

Another reason we have a no politics rule here on the forum...

Misspoken words in political, or other, speeches is not rare nor unique. Making humor of those errors makes the world a more fun place, politicizing those errors does the opposite.
agree with that.

we had a well known right wing party making a speech about stopping immigration, the used a picture of a spitfire as a back drop.
knob's that they were they used a picture of Zumbach's RF D with a Polish roundel on it

was very funny !

Users who are viewing this thread