Harder & Steenbeck airbrush review

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
After some problems with the budget-priced but reliable AB series airbrush I've used for some time, due to damage presumably caused by the AK Xtreme Metal paints, I decided to go "up market" a bit, and buy a more 'refined' airbrush.
Having looked at many well-known brands, I settled on the Harder & Steenbeck 'Ultra' airbrush, which is one of the less expensive, 'entry level' examples from their range, this decision being based mainly on the nozzle size and price, as I'd set a budget at no more than £125 to £150 max, and couldn't justify, to myself, spending more than this on something that is only used maybe six times a year - if used daily, for hours at a time, then maybe a more expensive 'brush could be justified. There were other 'brushes which fell into this price range, but most had a 0.3mm or larger nozzle / needle, and I wanted the finer line capability of a 0.25mm or 0.2mm nozzle / needle set-up.

The H&S 'Ultra' is available as the 'Ultra X', which is a suction feed, double action instrument, or as the direct gravity feed, double action 'Ultra', available as the 'Ultra Solo', with 0.2mm nozzle and 2ml paint cup, or as the 'Ultra Two in One', which is supplied with the 0.2mm nozzle / needle, and an additional 0.4mm nozzle and needle, and additional 5ml paint cup, therefore allowing more flexibility in paint coverage, from very fine lines to wider area coverage., along with the option of larger paint capacity.
Harder & Steenbeck are a German company, and have been producing their own airbrushes and equipment since the 1930s, and their classic 'Aerograph' range were once one of the industry standards in the graphics, illustration and porcelain painting fields I had experience using an 'Aerograph' back in the 1970s, and remember that it was easy to use, and performed faultlessly, and with the 'Ultra' airbrush being a 'direct descendant, I reckoned that this would be a good choice for my intended price range.
I opted for the "Two in One" package, with a UK retail price, including tax at 20%, of around £90 (approx $118 US). Ordered late yesterday afternoon from Everything Airbrush in Poole, Dorset, it was dispatched within minutes of my 'phone conversation, and arrived at 11.45 this morning - the usual excellent service from this company.

So, what's it like, and how does it perform ?
A general description and a brief review of it's use is shown below, along with some photos illustrating some of the points mentioned, and a quick 'spray test'.

Description

The "Ultra Two in One"kit comes in a neat presentation / storage case, which contains the airbrush, fitted with the 0.2mm nozzle / needle, the 2ml paint cup and a screw on 'quick change' adapter. The additional 0.4mm nozzle and needle are in a clear plastic tubular container, capped at each end, set within a recess in the case, with the additional 5ml paint cup housed in another recess in the case lining. (Note that lids for the paint cups are not supplied, but these are available, if required, as optional accessories, as are the paint cups, with the 5ml cup being around £12 in the UK.).
A colour illustrated instruction book, which includes an 'exploded' parts diagram, hints and tips and a trouble-shooting section, in nine languages, is also included, along with a separate sheet giving cleaning instructions.
It is immediately obvious, by the 'feel', weight and balance, that this is a quality, precision instrument, and closer examination confirms this. The body is smooth, chrome plated and substantial, with the trigger action being positive and very smooth, and using machined parts (many 'brushes use pressed components here). The needle is stainless steel, and the atomising nozzle cap is of the perforated type, which prevents paint build up. This can easily be removed, without tools, along with the nozzle, for deep cleaning or fitting the alternative head / nozzle supplied with the kit.
The attached 'quick release' hose attachment can easily be unscrewed to reveal the standard, threaded connection, which fits directly to standard hoses and in-line moisture traps / filters.
Needle adjustment, or change to the alternate needle is performed in the usual way, by unscrewing the rear section of the body, loosening the lock nut, and adjusting or withdrawing the needle.
The chromed paint cups are a 'plug in' type, fitting directly into the opening in the top of the body, allowing unrestricted paint feed, and simple fitting / removal and cleaning.
With the cup removed, the needle can be seen through the relatively shallow hole, and if desired, a very small amount of paint can be dropped into this, to allow small volume painting or touch-up work. Being direct feed, cleaning of this area is quick and simple and, unlike some 'brushes which have a paint channel feeding from the cup, build-up of paint deposits is very much minimised, if not totally eliminated.
As mentioned, the 'feel' and balance are excellent, with the trigger action being smooth and even, with a positive return once pressure is released. Even with my arthritic hands, and with the larger paint cup fitted, I found this much easier to hold and control, compared to my previous airbrushes, with the possible exception of the long defunct Humbrol 'Studio One' airbrush I used over 40 years ago - although I doubt my stiff fingers would allow me to use that 'brush these days !

Using the airbrush.

With the 'quick release' connection removed, the 'brush was connected directly to the threaded collar on the in-line moisture trap at the 'brush end of the compressor hose.
Due to the length of this moisture trap (about 3 inches overall), there is some restriction, at times, when trying to get in close at certain angles, but it's a simple job to remove the fitting, connect the 'brush directly to the hose, and rely on the moisture trap fitted to the compressor.
Even with the moisture trap fitted, it was quickly apparent that the balance of the 'brush, and the angle of the trigger, and it's action, were nothing less than superb, and I found handling much smoother and more comfortable than my previous 'brushes.
First, I practised operating the trigger, from 'fine' to 'full' travel, with just air, before loading the 5ml paint cup with neat thinners, and 'getting the feel' of the balance, and the trigger when spraying.
Satisfied with that, I then mixed some paint / thinners, ready to spray a second coat on the F-5E mode in the current GB.
Being used to the previous 'brush, the ratio was around 40% paint (Humbrol enamel) to 60% thinners, which was sprayed onto a scrap model first, to test the ratio, and get at least a little accustomed to the new 'brush, with the pressure set at around 15 psi.
It was soon evident that the paint was slightly over-thinned, although it sprayed without problems, and covered evenly, if somewhat 'wet', compared to the way I prefer it.
The ratio was therefore adjusted, to around 50 / 50, and sprayed again, with a more acceptable result, and this also suggested that this airbrush can handle an even 'heavier' paint / thinners ratio, and a lower pressure if desired or required.
Still with the 50/50 paint ratio, the pressure was reduced slightly, to around 12 psi indicated, and a light coat sprayed overall onto the F-5E model, varying the trigger between 'light' and about half full travel. The paint went on beautifully, with a smooth, even flow, and no struggling or spitting.
Note that this was with the 0.2mm nozzle / needle set-up.
With the remaining paint, I then tried some various patterns, including heavy coverage, fine lines, squigles, graduations, mottles, 'spot' areas and a check to see what the widest usable coverage was, with this nozzle / needle fitted. This was sprayed onto the back of a white envelope, of relative;y absorbent paper, and the results were very encouraging, allowing for the nature of the surface being sprayed. The results are shown, and described, in the pic below.

Cleaning the airbrush.

With the paint used, some thinners was poured into the paint cup, and the 'brush 'blown through' until the thinners ran clean, which was very quickly indeed. The paint cup was removed, wiped out with a tissue, and then given a quick rinse with thinners, leaving it as clean and gleaming as when first taken from the case.
Some drops of thinners were then fed into the opening on top of the body and 'blown through', and again, ran clean.
The needle was inspected, through the opening, and no traces of paint could be seen, but a quick brush out with a paint brush soaked in thinners was performed, just in case.
The atomiser nozzle cap was inspected, and although no paint deposits could be seen, a quick rub over with a soft paint brush soaked in thinners ensured that this area, also, was thoroughly clean. Air was then run through and all was in order - overall, a much easier, quicker and tidier clean-up than on my previous brushes, mainly due to the direct feed system, perforated nozzle cap and the quality materials the 'brush is made from.

Conclusions

It was immediately apparent that this airbrush is a quality, precision instrument, very well made, using high-grade materials. The fit and operation of parts is excellent, and typical of high-quality German engineering products.
Weight, balance, feel and operation are excellent, and with the well respected back- up and spares supply of Harder and Steenbeck, and their agents in various countries, I suspect that, handled correctly and looked after, this 'brush should see many years service.
For the price, it is well worth the relatively modest investment, and should certainly meet my needs over the coming years. With my 'old' brushes as back-up, or for such jobs as clear coating with that sticky acrylic stuff (which is 'dirtier' than enamels, no matter what people might say or think ! ), I should be covered for virtually any painting job.
To sum up this airbrush in one word - superb !

The pics below show the 'Ultra 2 in 1' kit, key parts of the airbrush and some test spraying results as mentioned above.

Pics 1 and 2. The Harder & Steenbeck "Ultra 2 in 1" kit and contents.
Pic 3. The airbrush as supplied, fitted with the 0.2mm nozzle / needle and 2ml paint cup, with the additional 5ml cup above, and the 'quick release' hose fitting below.
Pic 4. 'Plug in' paint cup.
Pic 5. Perforated, or vented, nozzle cap.
Pic 6. Machined trigger assembly.
Pic 7. Trigger detail and direct paint feed opening.
Pic 8. Colour Instruction Manual and separate Cleaning Instruction sheet,
Pic 9. Test results, sprayed onto a white, paper envelope, at around 15 psi, with a 50 /50 paint mix ratio, using a medium grey enamel. Wide stripe areas are 10mm wide, sprayed from approximately 1.5 and 2 inches. Narrowest line (extreme bottom right) is 0.5mm, sprayed from approximately 1/4 inch, at an angle of approximately 40 degrees.
All with the 0.2mm nozzle / needle fitted.

Airbrush H&S 001.JPG
Airbrush H&S 002.JPG
Airbrush H&S 003.JPG
Airbrush H&S 004.JPG
Airbrush H&S 005.JPG
Airbrush H&S 006.JPG
Airbrush H&S 008.JPG
Airbrush H&S 010.JPG
Airbrush H&S 011.JPG

Very much appreciate this Terry. It only reinforces the fact that I want one!

I experienced the same emotion when I first got my current Iwata HPC Plus - the quality was tangible and the handling and general construction was much better than my Paasche VL. I still have and use both. The Iwata is provided with a fixed 0.3mm nozzle/needle but I use this almost exclusively for all my work now. I checked and the 0.2mm nozzle/needle can not be used on this unit. The Paasche comes with 3 nozzle/pin combinations and I use the 0.5mm setup for gloss and flat coating. I'm keen to try something with a 0.2mm nozzle and had my eye on one of the H&S units. I may spring for one with expected birthday money this month.

You're welcome Andy, and I think you'll really like the H&S 'brush.
I considered one of their more expensive ones, but apart from their mainly having the 0.3mm tip / needle, which is good enough, most were considerably more money. After much deliberation, and after chatting to the chap at Everything Airbrush, I decided the 'Ultra' would suit my needs, and better still, it had the 0.2mm tip as standard fit, and didn't stretch the wallet lining too much !
I'm just about to spray the rather subtle disruptive pattern on the F-5E (grey on slightly lighter grey !), so that should be a reasonable test of the 0.2mm tip capabilities.
I might have some pics in the build thread later, but if not, then they'll be there tomorrow.

I have the same brush and while it is a quality piece of kit I have found it very finicky, it will spray absolutely beautifully one day making me look like I am an expert and the next day will spit more than an angry Cat. I find that undoing the needle nut withdrawing the needle reseating it and doing up the nut again can make a difference to it spitting.

Prices must have shot up recently I bought mine for £67 a year ago.

I have the same brush and while it is a quality piece of kit I have found it very finicky, it will spray absolutely beautifully one day making me look like I am an expert and the next day will spit more than an angry Cat. I find that undoing the needle nut withdrawing the needle reseating it and doing up the nut again can make a difference to it spitting.

Given your description, I'd suggest that you are not getting the nozzle opening clean enough after use. The spitting is due to some gap between the nozzle and needle due to dried paint. By undoing and reseating the needle, you are dislodging some of the dried paint and closing the gap.

Yes, I've had similar experience with every brush I've used, and it's relatively common to most, if not all airbrushes of this type, even the most expensive.
Normally, it's caused by very tiny particles of paint, around the needle and the jet, which has the effect of either partially blocking the jet, or very slightly pushing back the needle, acting as a choke, hence spitting. By withdrawing and re-seating the needle, this normally clears the tiny, impossible to see debris, and cures the problem. Things can be fine for a long time, but certain paints, or a different batch of the same paint, can cause this to happen now and then. It's more common with acrylics, as the 'plasticiser' can dry hard but not be visible - one of the reasons I'm not that keen on acrylics.
In the past, I've sometimes had to slacken the needle lock nut, move the needle ever so slightly to the rear and then lock the nut again. This allows trouble free spraying, although of course allowance has to be made for the difference in the trigger travel.
I'm just having a break from spraying the F-5E, using enamel paint, and I've emptied the paint cup, cleaned the cup, paint feed and tip, and sprayed thinners through the brush, to prevent just this problem when I start again, in about half an hour. Once finished, I'll clean again, and remove and clean the needle. and re-seat and check the travel etc.
The Ultra Solo (with the one needle / nozzle and 2ml cup, is still around £67 to £70 in the UK, depending on source. Mine is the "2 in 1", with the extra needle, nozzle and additional larger paint cup.

The spraying I've just done was rather subtle, fine, feathered edge 'diffusion' camouflage, grey on a slightly lighter grey, as used on the Swiss aircraft, and allowing for the fact I'm still getting used to this 'brush, it performed very nicely indeed, at low pressure, and with the paint ratio down to about 45% thinners. This was still a touch too thin for precision control of the edge feathering, so I'm going to reduce the thinning even more, as it looks like the 'brush will cope.
Also, I think the second grey, sprayed on the underside of the model, is a tad too dark, so I'll attempt to tone this down, by misting the base colour over the top, which should be a good test of the 'brush.
I'll lighten the paint mix slightly for the upper surfaces, and should have some pics, in the build thread, by tomorrow, all being well.

I have a H&S airbrush since many years (model Evolution) and I appreciated the quality and the range of spare parts available. Recently, as Christmas present, I added a new one which feature the possibility of setting the flow of paint.

Attachments

• 61fIdg7RNCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61fIdg7RNCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 256
Nice !
The 'Evolution' was one of those I looked at, and would have cost £40 more for the "2 in 1" kit, so would have still been in my budget price range.
After chatting to the very helpful chap at the supplier, he suggested that, for my needs, I could save a bit by getting the 'Ultra'. Having looked at the body shape of the 'Evolution', which is the same as my original 'brush, I thought that the 'Ultra' might be better for my stiff hands and wrists - I'm unable to hold a 'brush in the conventional way, or operate the trigger 'as normal', due to severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, and the straight, non-tapered body of the 'Ultra' is easier for me to hold and control.

Think I might have found out why my Ultra is a bit unpredictable. I took the brush apart and gave it the clean of its life spending a whole evening tinkering and I couldnt find anything that would make it spit till I ran the needle through my fingertips. Hello the tip has a burr on it its small but its there with a 5x power I can just about see it.

I didnt want to use anything aggressive to polish the needle tip so I found a piece of cardboard with a nice smooth texture smeared on some toothpaste and carefully stropped the needle with very light strokes making sure I had the needle at the correcxt angle. About a dozen careful strokes and then a polish with a soft cloth seems to have removed the burr. I dont know if its solved the problem I will just have to keep using the airbrush and hope it doesnt spit again it was unpredictable when it happened.

Sounds like that was the problem.
I had a similar experience with one of my other 'brushes. after dropping it when cleaning - only a few inches, catching the edge of the table. Damaged the needle tip, unseen to the naked eye ( 0.3mm needle in this instance ).
When spraying, it would spit now and then, or struggle to spray, but would be fine after withdrawing the needle and re-seating it.
Removed the needle, cleaned everything, then felt the burr with my fingers. Checking through a powerful magnifier, I could see very slight paint deposit build-up around the tiny burr, enough to cause the problem,
Soaked it in thinners, rubbed it with a cloth, and then very gently rolled the tip on fine, very worn wet 'n dry.
Problem solved, and worked without spitting thereafter.

To complete this review, here are the results of 'misting' the base colour over the entire surface of the F-5E model (1/48h scale).
This was done with a paint to thinners ratio of approximately 60% paint to 40% thinners, at around 12 psi, from about 6 to 8 inches.
First pic shows the original finish, second pic after 'misting'.

F-5E Swiss build 255.JPG
F-5E Swiss build 260.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back