Harrier smacks down a bit hard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That didn't look right from any angle. Surely there was mechanical/system malfunction. Otherwise that would be a major FUBAR.

Can't figure it out. You can hear the power being applied, and see the attempted pull-up as the pilot tries to abort. Maybe systems failure, or something on the runway causing a last second abort, too low? Amazed me he didn't eject until the flames hit the cockpit area!

Maybe systems failure, or something on the runway causing a last second abort, too low?

Emergency landing after engine failure shortly after takeoff. The pilot put it down hard to avoid crashing into a passenger aircraft on the runway, causing the undercarriage to fail, then ejects when the fire starts to get bad.

It didn't sound like an engine failure to me, you can hear it ramping up before he hits the ground. If I am honest it looks like he came in too fast and with a sink rate way over the odds. I doubt if pulling the nose up is the thing to do if the exhaust is angled down as all you do is raise the nose, stall the wing losing any lift and down you go.

Old FAA adage, the idea of a Harrier is that its easier to stop and land, than land and stop.

It didn't sound like an engine failure to me, you can hear it ramping up before he hits the ground.

I noticed that as well, but engine failure was the MoD story. I think the high sink rate was from a combination of being almost fully fuelled and armed, and trying not to crash into the passenger jet.

Hmm. Methinks MoD are telling porkies!
What do you NOT do when an engine fails on take off? Turn back!
The aircraft was on what looked like an approach pattern, into wind, with power on. After impact, it slid a considerable distance along the runway, with no sign of another aircraft, apart from those on the ramp in the background. If an engine failure, the pilot would have almost certainly had time to declare an emergency, which would have immediately alerted the crash crews. For Category 3 to 1 airfields, the response time from the bells going down to on scene with media pumping, has to be two minutes or under, otherwise the field is closed until the crews can achieve this requirement. The crash wagons took over two minutes from impact to first monitor pumping.
Also, in another clip which was on the same 'channel', another Harrier falls vertically into the sea, from the hover, after what appears to be total engine failure, which suggests that, an engine failure after take off would result in a not dissimilar effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back