has anyone put a turboprop engine in a warbird

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I a photo of a B-17 with 4 turboprops.

Attachments

• B-17-.jpg
    B-17-.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,139
Last edited:
There was a P-51 ground attack version by Piper with a turboprop as well. But it was based on the Mustang and the project was well post-war. Canceled however.

Here's a pic of the Piper Enforcer, a turboprop P-51 Mustang derivative:

02PiperPA48Enforcer.jpg

That B-17 Dart conversion was wonderful to fly but didn't last very long before it smacked the ground fighting a fire. They used to zoom to altitude, shut down the two outboard turboprops and cruise home on the two inboard engines. I've read some astounding stories about the excess power that was available. It was built and flew out of Wenachee, WA.

The pic of the single engine B-17 with a turboprop in the nose is a photoshop spoof. But they DID put a big turboprop in the nose of one while retaining the four piston engines.

Here's a real rarity, a B-47 with turboprops on the two inboard engine pylons:

061025-F-1234S-002.jpg

It apparently had astounding acceleration and would walk away from the pure jet B-47 until it reach top speed, at which time the all-jet B-47 would eventually catch up and pass it. Great climb, too.

Here's a turboprop Gloster Meteor called the "Trent Meteor:"

138-1.jpg

There are more around. The Italians put a turboprop in a Cessna Bird Dog. There was a turboprop Douglas Shyraider.

Here is a 3-turboprop DC-3:

triturbo-helo.jpg

Last edited:
While not a WW II aircraft I feel we cannot forget the XF-84H Thunderscreech.

183495.jpg

One of the few aircraft capable of causing multiple causalities while merely testing it engine during a ground run up. Disrupting base communications and damaging delicate equipment over a wider area than a small bomb. :)

Sometimes called the loudest plane ever built ... but they never heard an F-105 on full afterburner. The 105 was probably louder but the frequency of the turboprop was probably less than 100 Hz and affected the body's organs adversely.

Kind of like being at an NHRS drag race today in 2013 where the top fuelers make 8,500 HP and shake you completely through and through.

Love the pic of the Dornier not often you can say it but I think that improves on the looks of the original

Sometimes called the loudest plane ever built ... but they never heard an F-105 on full afterburner. The 105 was probably louder but the frequency of the turboprop was probably less than 100 Hz and affected the body's organs adversely.

Kind of like being at an NHRS drag race today in 2013 where the top fuelers make 8,500 HP and shake you completely through and through.

The F-22 makes even the Thud sound quiet.. it drowns out an F-15 and F-4 on AB as well.

Having said that, I believe the XF-84H to be the loudest aircraft/engine combo ever built in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back