Hasegawa kit releases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hotntot

Senior Airman
Mar 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how many release 'numbers' there are in Hasegawa's kit releases and their sequential order?
JT**, ST**, SP**, S**, JT** etc

Think of a number, double it, add 12 and multiply by 50 !
They have a habit of re-releasing 40+ year old kits, doubling the price, and adding an extra 50% for the 'new' decal sheet and box art. The 1/32nd scale Bf109E is a prime example. It's one of their very early kits, and is originally from Frog moulds from the late 1960's - an acceptable, detailed kit back then, by the standards of the day, but very lacking, and inaccurate, by today's standards. But they keep releasing it, in various guises, and have the cheek to ask over £30 for it !!

Thanks guys.

Airframes: "Think of a number, double it, add 12 and multiply by 50 !..."

That's what I was thinking about when posing the question and was wondering how to make sure (if i could) that I was looking at a more recent kit release re the detail etc. Seems like I shouldn't bother with all the re-releasing going on. Thank you both.

If you know that a particular kit has been released a number of times, but are not particularly bothered about the decal choice, then try to go for an early release. The moulds will not have been used as often, and therefore the parts should be crisper, and the fit better - in theory.
It really annoys me when a kit is released at, say, £18, then re-released four years later - same kit, perhaps different decals, but the price is now £40.
Heck, at least even Dick Turpin wore a mask !!

Good advice, thanks Terry. Yup - the kits sure have pushed up in price and that's surely that's not all down to inflation, exchange rates etc? Or maybe I'm wrong? In terms of detail and accuracy, what's people's opinion on the best manufacturer(s) these days? Tamiya's kits always seem good. I always thought Hasegawa were reliable; I've seen kit comparison reviews in the past looking at scale proportion, detail accuracy, etc and they seemed to do quite well. Although I take the point about some early kits not being too accurate. Academy, Italeri, Eduard, Trumpeter, Fujimi, Fine Molds, Hobby Boss, etc, etc, etc. The list of manufacturers is endless (or was) - so maybe a bit pointless.

I wonder. This repopping of kits with old as dirt technology and moulds seems to be common in the scale aircraft modelling world. is it so? If so who are the big culprits. Sounds like Hasegawa is one of them. I would inherently be concerned about purchasing a $40 1/48 scale Hasegawa kit because I have no clue if its a new mould or one that's 30 years old.

Last edited:
101733-b_zps5eef8c72.jpg

£27.99 at Hannants......

171971-10571_zps4ce241a0.jpg

£37.99 at the same place.....

Might be said to Tamiya's defense, maybe, there's two pilots in their kit, question is, are they resin, or is there something else that forces the price up £10 or more?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back