Have a question about the Fw44 biplane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

maxmwill

Airman 1st Class
Apr 18, 2011
Recently, I acquired a book, Focke Wulf Jet Fighters, by Justo Miranda. This covers all the jet fighter projects that Focke Wulf was engaged in until the end of the war. Needless to say, they were all paper planes(never left the notepad or drawing board), and never progressed to the stage where metal and/or wood was cut to build the prototype.

This covers every project, from the Fw190 TL, which had a turbine engine under the nose, through the Ta183(the rumored precursor to the MiG15, a mistaken conclusion), to some really exotic projects, such as the Rammjaeger project, which was a Feisler 103 with a cockpit, intended to ram bombers(not a kamekazi type).

One project that held particular fascination with me was the Fw190 Turbine(or TL), which was to be a 190 with a HeS centrifugal engine in the nose in place of the BMW 801. With this project, Focke Wulf built a proof of concept model by adding a ducted fan to the nose of an Fw44 training biplane. In spite of it seeming like it'd never work, the Fw44J(as it ended up being designated) flew quite nicely, and proved the concept. Alas, the modified 190 was never built, so the world may never know if the Wurger would've been a nice flier like the 44.

However, this is about the Fw44, more specifically the modification in 1/72 scale.

In order to do this, Focke Wulf added to the engine a cowl with bumps for the rocker boxes, and a 4 bladed ducted fan in front.

Welp, I got the model, a Huma Fw44, and found that the engine is uncowled. So, I ask, were there any other German aircraft at the time with the same engine with cowl and rocker box bumps? The ducted fan is another story, meaning I'll have to make it myself, but the cowl, I think I could use from another kit.

As a modeller, this is intriguing, as I know of only one other biplane that had a ducted fan, the 1910 Coanda Jet, and that's fascinating in its own right(with the possibilities of "jet" equipped fighters had Coanda stuck with the idea and tried to develop it further, but that's something for further discussion), but that was designed with the ducted fan. This, on the other hand, was just a little bitty trainer that was designed for a radial with prop, and it flew well with a ducted fan. And personally, I like this little beauty, 'cause the concept of a jet powered(face it gentlemen, ducted fan or turbine engine, they are still both reaction engines, that is, they propel the craft by dint of thrust with no propellor) biplane is a glorious freak.

Hell, I even like the M15 Belphegor, and that ugly beastie turned out to be a glorious failure. By my lights, the Belphegor(a very apt name, being the name of a noisy demon)) is so ugly that it has a kind of elegance to me. But then, and I don't know the Latin version of it, there's no accounting for taste.

Hmm, never heard of a ducted fan Fw 44. Do you have further information, perhaps a picture?

The Hs 123 had a helmeted cowl. Airfix had a 1/72 Hs 123. You could try an Hs 126 observation aircraft, that also had helmeted cowls. Matchbox, Airfix and Italeri did one.

To be honest, I have never heard of any plans by Focke-Wulf to modify the Fw44 Goldfinch from it's original design.

This is the only version of the Fw44 that I'm familiar with.
Fw44.jpg

Hmm, never heard of a ducted fan Fw 44. Do you have further information, perhaps a picture?

The Hs 123 had a helmeted cowl. Airfix had a 1/72 Hs 123. You could try an Hs 126 observation aircraft, that also had helmeted cowls. Matchbox, Airfix and Italeri did one.

Those were my first thoughts, as well.

However, both aircraft used a 9 cylinder radial, the Hs123 using the BMW 132, while the 126 used a BMW 323, both of which are 9 bangers. The Fw44, otoh, uses a 7 cylinder radial.

When I began researching this to see if I could use the cowl, I first hit up "Old Reliable", Bill Greens Warplanes of the 3rd Reich, and looked at those first. No match.

After all, like every other modeller, I'm a tad lazy, in that if I can use parts from elsewhere, I go for it.

If I can get this fancy ass HP sprinter/copier/scanner going, which so far seems to be a losing proposition, I'll scan the page with the 3 view, and send it, so you'll see this little craft which seems like it is one of the forgotten types(forgotten due to the march of time into the dim mists, as happens with so much else, until some idiot, such as myself, drags it back into the light).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I have the book right here, and my wife got a copier/scanner/fancy shit machine to go with this computer, but I'm not sure how to go about scanning the 3 view to send to you. I'd also like to send you the text of the article on the TL itself.

I've got this book and no photos or line drawings of your aircraft...

upload_2018-6-21_9-38-35.png

...its in German but if you want it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you

EDIT: did some translating of the book and it says the "J" had a Siemens-Halske Sh 14A engine

Last edited:
I've got this book and no photos or line drawings of your aircraft...

...its in German but if you want it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you

EDIT: did some translating of the book and it says the "J" had a Siemens-Halske Sh 14A engine
Yes I would like that. Thank you very much. Know anything about HP scanner/copier/printers?

I'd gotten a 1/72 kit of an Hs126, hoping to do a straight conversion, that is, the nose of the 126 grafted onto the 44, only to discover there are size differences. And, after looking close at the partial profile of the modified 44 in Justo's book, it is a BRAMO 325, which seems to be a twin row 14 cylinder engine. So, I'm back to square 1, because I have no idea as to anything about the BRAMO 325.

Ah well, such is the life of a modeller, c'est la vie.

As an aside, don't forget Kurt Tank's A.E. Pulqui II in the museum in Argentina. Not a ducted fan but the completion of one of his advanced jet designs.

Yes, I know. Justo Miranda covers it and other post-war designs at the end of Focke Wulf Jet Fighters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back