Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC S.E.A.C.- Academy/Revell 1:72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hal bregg

Senior Airman
Oct 13, 2013
Poland
Hello!

Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC South-East Asia Command, 28. Army Cooperation Sqn.
Dalbumghar, India, january 1945

Model: Academy with extended fuselage:

gQ3OUEo.jpg

Upgraded with parts from Revell 04144 kit:
-canopy, drop tanks, Vokes dust filter, decals.

hT4DbPm.jpg

MWWGTBb.jpg

5YVqG0F.jpg

WTnFcho.jpg

4yesvgh.jpg

Y9G30cX.jpg

PEma1zI.jpg

Many parts were left from Revell kit, so inspired by photo:

wpNXkE9.jpg

-I have made a "factory fresh" hurri. A bit of madness. Added: S.B.S. resin wheels and Rob-Taurus vacu canopy.

KyPgi8z.jpg

RhNFOa7.jpg

gDYlFyI.jpg

01mJyCT.jpg

aOrY0Q0.jpg

SuWEluA.jpg

I like both of them :thumbup:. Just out of curiosity, why did you combine the Revell and Academy parts – is the Academy kit generally more accurate?

why did you combine the Revell and Academy parts – is the Academy kit generally more accurate?

Yes, definitely. Much better panel lines and details. Except top of the fuselage in front/center section- it's too narrow by about two milimeters (!). Canopy is of course also too narrow, and useless. Something must have go wrong in Academy projecting, because only extended fuselage fits to wings without chink.

Thanks for kind comments.
I always liked Hurricane. A pre-war construction, hero of Battle Of Britain, maybe not so fast, but durable, in service 'til last days of war without bigger changes!.

I just came across your builds, both are great!

It's interesting that some people have written off the Academy kit, personally, I like it. Yes, the nose is a little too slender, but you have clearly demonstrated that it is an easy fix.

Tell me, how did you determine the amount of a spacer to correct the nose? Did you run the 2 mm from tip to just past the canopy? (I can't quite tell from your pictures).

As a side comment, the wings from the Academy kit will fit with a little tweaking to the Hasegawa kit (and vice versa).

Hello Clift, and thanks for your comment.

Tell me, how did you determine the amount of a spacer to correct the nose? Did you run the 2 mm from tip to just past the canopy? (I can't quite tell from your pictures).

Fuselage extension starts from about 0,5 milimeter on the fuselage tip, then goes to about two milimeters in center section (canopy), diminishes to zero near tail.
Only top of the fuselage is widen.

Last edited:
By the way...
It looks, that we have a really good new Hurricane Mk II c in '72 scale:
70035 Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc Expert Set
New moulds from Polish manufacturer "Arma Hobby". I didn't make it yet, but had sprues "in hand". Looks really great.
Seems that decals are from "Techmod" company - that also sound promising.

Thank you Hal! I have several of the Academy kits myself. With the help of your information, I will be able to improve them.

I've also ordered the new Arma Hobby Hurricane. It will be interesting to compare the older kits (Hasegawa, Academy, Revell) to this new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back