Hawker Typhoons at Hochwald Gap

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

macmullin

Recruit
I have been doing a little research for an aviation painting I would like to create. The theme and topic is mainly about the Hawker Typhoons who helped out the 4th Canadian Armour by attacking the 116th Panzer Division during the battle of Hochwald Gap (Between Feb 28 and April 1st 1945).

I have been trying to find out what RAF or RCAF squadron(s) took part in this offensive. At this moment I have failed to come up with any information. If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated.

I'd need to read through it to check, but I think "2nd Tactical Air Force, vol 2" will probably cover this, and at least give the Squadrons. I'm just guessing, but RP's were probably used primarily, so those Sqns would be RAF. The bomb-carrying Typhoons were mainly the RCAF sqns, as the loads were not interchangeable. I'll have a look and post if I find anything.

Drat! Just checked, and vol 2 only goes up to January 1945 ! I'll keep searching elsewhere, might get lucky!

Thanks guys for the leads. I downloaded a PDF of the Classic 2nd TAF Vol 1 to 3. In vol three I managed to find out the air support for the 4th Canadian Armor of the 1st Canadian Army was 2 TAF 84th group. This does narrow down my search to now four Typhoon wings. Now, first within in 84 Group - what wings or squadrons*were in this group, and second, out of those who*used rocket firing Typhoons?

Does Vol 3 not provide the squadron listings, under the Group and Wing, in the appendices?
I've only got to hand the orbat for 2 TAF for June '44, but as far as I know, it was ther same in '45.
84 Group is shown as being comprised of 3 Wings, as shown below, with their respective squadrons, code letters in brackets.
123 Wing = 198 Sqn (Codes TP), 609 Sqn (Codes PR). Both equipped for RP's.
136 Wing = 164 Sqn (Codes FJ), 183 Sqn (Codes HF) Both equipped for RP's.
146 Wing = 193 Sqn (Codes DP), 197 Sqn (Codes FM), 266 Sqn (Codes UO), all equipped for bombs.
Hope this helps, and look forward to seeinh your painting. I've had a Typhoon painting laid out on canvas, but not actually started, for some time. Must get around to painting it someday!!
Cheers,
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back