KrazyKraut said:
IMO all of these three planes were typical intermediate designs which always pop up when a new technology matures. None of the were "dominant designs" and they were never pitted against each other thus its hard to say which would've been better than the other.
Exactly right. There is no reason to believe that these aircraft would not have been competitive with one another any more than piston fighters were competitive. There was just not that much differences in performance. Like the Battle of Britain, and the battles in the south Pacific, circumstance and pilot training and tactics would rule. The Germans had a six to nine month difference in engine technology and operation, but that would close quickly due to more available allied developmental resources.
I don't disagree, I was just referring to delcyros position that Messerschmitt was pushing the envelope where Heinkel wasn't. The He 162 had other features that were novel for fighter aircraft such as the back mounted engines. They were not particularly long lived however and were appropriate only for a rather short period of time. That's why I said i don't see the basic design layout becoming dominant over the next years. However the same can be said about the Me 262 to some degree: While it set the trend considering several features such as wing design, the overall design layout was short lived. This goes for the Meteor and the Vampire aswell.
This is why I believe that the P-80 was the most conceptually advanced design of the four aircraft mentioned here. After the P-80, and as time went by, almost all fighter aircraft adapted its basic concepts of engine buried in the fuselage, exhaust exiting at (below) or behind the tail surfaces, and air inlets mounted on each side of the fuselage, ahead of the wings. The Vampire, He-162, and the Me-262, were all dead end designs. I don't know of any other aircraft that used the Vampire design except follow-on versions. The only possible follow-on to the He-162 design was the F-107, but only the intake was above the aircraft, the engine was still in the fuselage. As for the Me-262 design (and Meteor) it soldiered on a few more years, mainly in the Soviet Air Force, but petered out due to poor concept.
Waynos said:
I know that once the captured German material on aerdynamics was made available to the British industry there was a crisis of confidence in our own findings with lots of projects then being launched based directly on German examples (the Gloster P.275 from the Lippisch P.13a for instance) but very few of these materialised either, suggesting that once properly researched they proved not to be all they had been cracked up to be.
The Germans were definitely ahead of the allies in swept wing design although the concept was understood by the allies (US), and, I believe they were very advanced in supersonic aerodynamics. As for aircraft projects, the P1101 could have been the first swept wing fighter, with wings fixed, to be combat ready. Base on Tanks efforts in Argentina, the Ta-183 was several years off (Mig was able to fly in '47). The Go-229 was quite a ways off. Lippisch was certainly brilliant and advanced aerodynamics considerably, but most the fighter design based on his concepts had mediocre success like the F-102 and F-106. Dassault seems to have had the most success. Otherwise they are rare.
However, I don't think we should downplay the role German research added to post-war fighter development. I changed a lot opinions.