He 162 v P-80 V Vampire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A compact layout gives less target area and -that´s quite important- the components may be shielded with less armour. I don´t like to much distribution, this in turn tends to increase vulnarability.
All true dude, just pulling your leg... :)

With the informations contributed by Mike Williams N. Stirling we should reonsider the He-162 vs Vampire vs P-80 thread.
I don´t see much of a performane difference between all three planes at 15.000 to 30.000 ft. altitude (actually I was a bit surprised by the disappointing P-80 performance)
The He-162 has a larger speed window and a significantly better crit Mach figure.
One thing I like on the Vampire is the compact design, e.g. how fuel, engine and pilot compartements are grouped together.

Hooray, kudos to Mike Williams et.al. for again providing test and evaluation data. I am always amazed at the effort.

I agree that the performance of the P-80A and Vampire are similar, unfortunately the data on the He 162 was tainted by a bad engine. It should perform well, but was having trouble in development and light weight and small fuel load would limit usefulness.

Actually, I was impressed with the P-80 climb performance. According to the available tests, and even with the limited thrust engine, it had better climb at SL (4300 ft/min) than either the vampire (the FB6, an advance model, had 4050 ft/min), or the Me-262A-1a with 3300 ft/min. The P-80 tested better in climb than the Me-262 from SL up (don't have the data for the Vampire). In airspeed the P-80 is better at lower altitude but starts to suffer above 25k ft. Again, I think the P-80, Vampire, and Me-262 were equal enough to transfer advantage to the better pilot.

I don't ive only seen a figure for the F.3 which was around 4300ft/min, F.3 differed from the F.1 with its fuel capacity which was 50% greater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back