He 219 A-5, Are their any pictures of it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have his 3rd edition. But I consider this more of a list of corrections of the books that have been published to that point, rather than a comprehensive book on the subject. With that in mind, it begs the question: What is currently the most accurate book on the Heinkel He 219?

I've got the Remp book and the Franks book (which goes for silly money and is currently out on loan), both of which are okay. Ferguson provides plenty of corrections for the former.

The bottom line is that the He 219 was a fairly obscure aircraft even at the time. Many of the earliest publications were doing the best they could on the limited data available. The same can be said of the later ones too, it's just that they have a little bit more to go on.

Cheers

Steve

Here's the photo of the A-5/R1 prototype (A-053) I mentioned above (post #16).

Here is the accompanying 3-view of the A-5/R1

You can see where the cockpit has been modified by shortening the radius and fairing it to the fuselage, omitting the defensive MG151 and leaving only the positions for the pilot and radar op.

He219 001[720].jpg

He219 002[720].jpg

Not a 3-seater = not an A-5, The only difference between A-2 and the proposed A-5 was the cockpit for three crew. Nothing special seen in the cockpit, standard later production cockpit (was changed early/mid A-0 series).

Perhaps this is a good occasion for a related request ; hm, what about a photo of a prototype He-419, the one(s) with two Jumos-222 ??
So easy to ask.

The one prototype I've always believed, light on blackboxes antennas or other operationnal gears, that would have been capable of achieving a hot take-off on one engine, hence the hearsay...

Last edited:
He 219 was either underpower or too heavy/too high wingload for the avaiulable power. Plus it may have been rather expensive to build. That's why Luftwaffe had far more Ju 88G night fighters than He 219.
If Heinkel had focussed on some main variants instead of the myriad of subvariants the He 219 might have got better (larger wings or a weight reduction program).

If Heinkel had focussed on some main variants instead of the myriad of subvariants the He 219 might have got better (larger wings or a weight reduction program).

That's a problem that plagued German aircraft production throughout the war. The Luftwaffe/RLM would decide it needed aircraft for role A,B or C and the manufacturers would fall over themselves to prove that they had a design, or even better an aircraft, to fulfil that role.

In the end you have ridiculous scenarios like Tank trying to save the Ta 154 programme by proposing a Mistel combination, because he knew the RLM was interested in the concept and Junkers was already working on it.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back