Heinkel He111 bomber in Norway, May 1940 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fredrikk

Recruit
Jun 15, 2016
On 1 and 2 May 1940, two or three Heinkel He111 bombers attacked the Norwegian ship "Dronning Maud" in Gratangen in Northern Norway. I have been told that this episode is mentioned in the book "Fledgling Eagles" by Christopher Shores. I do not have access to this book, and apparently no libraries here in Norway possess it. Does anyone have this book, and if so, would it be possible to obtain a quote from the book, regarding this incident??
( Maybe the aircraft belonged to II/KG26, but not sure about that. The aircraft were stationed at the Værnes airport near Trondheim, Norway).

Here you go...

Capture.PNG

So I have learned that the Heinkel He111 bombers that attacked the ship «Dronning Maud» in May 1940 were from the Luftwaffe unit II/LG1 (i.e. Gruppe II, Lehrgeschwader 1). You will find an article about Lehrgeschwader 1 in Wikipedia, in English and German language. There it is said that LG1 was "a Luftwaffe multipurpose unit during WW2". Further it is stated for war time service against Scandinavia that: "II./LG 1 undertook missions against Allied shipping. On 1 May 1940, the Norwegian hospital ship Dronning Maud was sunk by this unit." Let me add more details about the attack. According to Norwegian reports the ship was attacked by German aircraft on 1 and 2 May. On 1 May, the ship was hit directly by two bombs and gun fire, a total of 19 persons died. Of these, 9 were ship crew members, 10 were Norwegian medical corps personnel. 31 were severely wounded. The ship was set on fire and was towed a distance from the quay area in Foldvik, Gratangen to avoid damage to the houses. The ship was abandoned. The next day 2 May, the ship was again attacked, and sunk. The wreck is lying there today. A memorial stone was unveiled in Foldvik on 30 July 1989. "Dronning Maud" was originally a coastal passenger ship (Hurtigruten), requisitioned in April 1940 by the Norwegian Army for transporting military units in Northern Norway, which took place. Then, due to urgent needs, the ship was in a hurry equipped with Red Cross markings, to become a hospital ship for transporting a Norwegian medical corps unit. On 1 May the ship transported that medical corps unit of 119 men (Lv.san.kp.6) with equipment, from Sørreisa (in Troms county) to Foldvik in Gratangen, where the ship was attacked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back