Help Identify Picture

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tom....fabulous photo of a terrific group of aviators from a bygone era. Would your father happen to be Maurice Ireland? This photo was most definitely taken at Brown Field in Quantico, VA. The pilot (far left top row) is enlisted pilot Sgt. Arnold G. Fischer and next to him is who I believe to be another NAP (enlisted pilot) Charles C. Campbell. No primary pilot training in Quantico....I can't recall if this would still be considered VF-9M in 1937 or if the squadron was redesignated VMF-1 by then. If my memory is correct, I believe they were still flying the F4B's in 1937 while the F3F didn't show up until 1938. Additionally, I'm pretty certain the asterisk's are for the pilots who eventually fleeted up to General rank in later years.

A couple of notes of interest: Ed "Barbells" Authier died during surgery to remove a cancerous lung tumor in 1944; Ed's son lives nearby in Issaquah, WA. I also have an extremely rare color home movie given to me by my late friend Col. John F. Carey (Battle of Midway VMF-221). One specific series of shots show many of these young aviators, to include Ray Emerson and Frank W. Davis (Stinky), catching a few rays on Lindbergh Beach (St. Thomas USVI) in 1939/1940. Ray was killed near McCalla Field, Cuba in November 1940 when the wings of his F3F folded up while in a dive bombing training run. Frank Davis would leave the Marine Corps in late 1940/early 41 to be an executive in his father's chemical plant in West Virginia; he would later become Vice President of General Dynamics (Convair-Fort Worth Division) in the late 1960's. Freeman Williams, the other bookend in row two, was one of Gregory "Rats" Boyington's posse. He along with Boyington, Burnette "Kemp" Kempson and Thomas "Mob" Mobley turned Quantico on its ear in 37 and 38 with their legendary antics. Boke Batterton (Front Row) and former squadron mate Dan Torrey were the primary antagonists in the carrier qualification fiasco on the USS Saratoga in February, 1937. Their maneuvers had unintended consequences for their CO "Tex" Rogers who was not allowed to perform a special airshow in his hometown Waco, TX due to the unsanctioned actions of his charges. Lastly, Norm Anderson (top row far right) was the last surviving member in this photo. Norm retired as a Major General in 1972; he passed away in September 2009 at the golden age of 96 thus closing out the living legacy of these fine aviators.

Thanks for posting this great photo Tom.

Cheers,

Larry

Last edited:
The 3rd row names L to R: (NAP) Arnold Fischer; (NAP) Charles Campbell; (NAP) Lee Roberts (not Sam Moore-he was with Utility Squadron 1 at the time); (Cadet) Gregory Boyington; (Cadet) Norm Anderson.

Row 2: Howard Bowber (misspelled)- Howard Bowker is the correct spelling. My k's look like b's too.

FYI: I did confirm with David Moore (Sam's son) and checked the Nov 37 Muster Rolls to confirm Lee Roberts.

Love the photo Tom.....:D

Larry

My father was a mechanic in WWII in stationed in Italy. I recently found this photo and would like to know more about the plane. Does anyone know what the type of plane is and where I might find information about this specific plane? I had previously found a photo of a B24 and was able to find out more it that plane.
scan0020.jpg

llassise......
Thank you so much for the valuable information. Sorry I'm so late checking back on this board and I hope you check in soon. I lost your PM in the shuffle of operating this board.
Yes, my Dad's name is Maurice.....and he's the pilot exreme right in the 1st row. Yes...you may forward photo to Ed Authier's son.....please contact me at [email protected] for further conversation.....
Thanks,
Tom I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back