Help identifying aircraft unit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

berthag

Recruit
May 10, 2016
Help needed to identify the correct unit of this aircraft. Found this photograph on the net, the caption appears to be wrong. I can find no reference to a 65th Tactical Reconnaissance Group with the 7th Army. Another copy of this photograph appears in a booklet by Roger Freeman, entitled,'US Tactical Air Power, Europe 1942-1945', where it states " served a US 7th Army unit".

l-5SS.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think it's the 65th and they do not have that aircraft listed. I wonder if it belongs to the 7th photographic reconnaissance group.
I have been trying to find out a bit more for myself, and according to 'Air Force Combat Units of World War II', by Maurer Maurer, there was no 65th 'Tactical' Reconnaissance Group, during WW2. The two photo sources I quoted both mention the 7th US Army, which had two Liaison Squadrons assigned, the 72nd and the 167th. Could be the 'plane was assigned to one of them.

My money is on the 72nd Liaison Squadron. Most of their aircraft appear to have been unmarked, but your image reinforces the chance that "S" was assigned to the squadron, with the second assigned letter for the individual aircraft. I have a shot from one of the squadron pilots' records showing an aircraft marked "SV."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back