Help ID'ing propeller!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tnbender

Recruit
Dec 29, 2012
Its a hamilton standard propeller that is 87" long it probably weighs close to 200 pounds. Has a white/red/white tip. And is covered near the base with a rubber coating marked "Goodyear tire and rubber company" "hamilton standard" "part number 504313 d" "6132"

Thanks for any help!

Terry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    926.7 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 204
Thanks!

My only concern Is that the above specs show the diameter at 11' 2". My prop alone is 7' 3". So my diameter is 14'6" at the least not counting the hub! Thoughts?

Where is that length measured to?

Some point must be at the surface of the prop hub (spinner surface) and the additional width is prop hub alone, with the swelled prop end captured in the hub..

I overlooked the length: because the diameter is 14'6'' then it has to be driven by something like a P&W R-2800 or Wright R-3350: multi-engine because I can't think of many single engined aircraft swinging a prop of that size: white-red-white tips - does that indicate a post-WW2 USN aircraft?

According to White Pratt Whitney R-2800 "Hamilton Standard blades are identified by a design number stamped on the circumference of the butt end of each blade - also stenciled in paint on the blade. The blade designation describes (in part) the use and type of the unit."

Duh! :eggface: Just realised that the entire unit has to be at least 15' diameter from...KA-CHING! :idea:

1-Martin Mercartor 1.jpg

Martin P4M-1/1-Q Mercator - except for the squared off tips...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't help much, but for what it's worth, the 'bare metal' finish, and the colour of the prop tips, suggest a period from the late 1950s / early 1960s onwards. Possibly something like an Electra airliner, as an example?

Hmmm, I'd have to agree in that its post war. Not Electra; too small - the 54H60 prop blades (common to the P-3 and Convair 580 powered by Allison T-56) fitted to the Electra have much chunkier blades. Only the leading edge rubber strip is anti-icing, the cuff at the base of the blade was for aerodynamic purposes and cooling. Since you can read the blade part no, if someone has a HS manual you should be able to find out which type it was fitted. Judging on its size, might be either 23E50 (three blade) or 24D50 or 34D40 (four blade) or something similar, each having the same size hub, just three or four blades.

might be from a Constellation or a DC-7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back