Help on P-51 identifying purpose of a part.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
Another forum I am on started a question on the item circled in Red on some P-51's. What is it? It appears on wartime and post war P-51's but not many so I would also love to know the models it was on. Thanks in advance for any help.
maxresdefault.jpg

At first glance it's an intake of some sort, but behind that panel is the lower engine bearer and ducting for the carburettor intake. It's only present on the left hand side, so looking at pics off the internet, there's tubing that runs to the radiator/oil cooler on the right hand side under that panel, but I haven't seen one of the left with that panel removed. Perhaps its an intake for cabin air to keep the pilot cool?

it appears present on only some 'D' model Mustangs, certainly not all of them.

Thanks Bill! I have seen it on almost all K models but was not aware it was on D models as well. It seems like it was something that was sporadically added perhaps? Some kind of field mod perhaps?

It is hard to tell what is factory vs what has been added during a restoration. Below is a P-51C with the vent. (more after images)
P-51C vent.JPG

TP-51C_11.jpg

So, I had a look in O'Leary's P-51 book. It has many factory photos, mostly from Inglewood. It appears that Ks (Dallas) have the vent from the factory, while Ds (Inglewood) do not. Let me put it another way: I did not see any vents on Ds at the factory, but I did see the vent on the a few Ks at the factory. I also did not see the vent on any factory Bs or Cs. I'm certainly not saying that all Ks had the vent and no Ds did, just reporting what I see from a limited number of photos.

Anyway, I think you are right Robert. The vent was on Ks mostly and added to some Ds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back