Help with the identification of two wing panels of a German aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Truffle Pig

Airman
Dec 3, 2020
Cologne
In 2012, a dealer offered us two larger sheets that came from the underside of the wing of a German aircraft. No one was interested in them, even though they were supposed to cost only 30 euros each. At that time, it was still quite common to find old aircraft sheets that had served as roofs for chicken coops or to cover wood.
Both sheets came from the same type of aircraft, but were in very different condition. On one (No. 2) the crossbeam was still clearly visible. On the other (No. 1) only rudimentary.
Both plates were formerly screwed on, typical for the underside of the wing. The joints were mainly spot welded.
No nameplates or other markings were found.
We would be pleased if someone here could tell us from which type of aircraft these plates came and whether they can perhaps be dated more precisely.

Teil 1, 2, 3.JPG

Teil 2b.JPG

Teil 2e.JPG

Teil 3a.JPG

Teil 3b.JPG

Teil 3d.JPG

Unknown german wing part ww2.jpg

Unknown german wing part, inside.jpg

Teil 3j.JPG

Last edited:
I see what appears to be the remnants of a late war simplified Balkenkreuz and next to it what might be part of a sloped number (like a 7) or letter (like a V or W). The black outlined crosses were used on the sides of fuselages or wing undersurfaces. If you can measure dimensions ?1 and ?2 below, it might offer a clue to what we have.

Teil 2b.JPG

Thank you very much for the tips. "Late war" is already a helpful specification. After we built stools from the leftovers and some bookends from the then still existing smaller leftovers, I can't measure that anymore, unfortunately.
Perhaps it is possible to create an assignment from the construction details.

As always part numbers and inspection stamps are the best information as there are parts lists available for many aircraft

As always part numbers and inspection stamps are the best information as there are parts lists available for many aircraft

I can only agree, a nameplate is hard to top. Especially if the aircraft type and manufacturer are indicated as on the usual German ones. On the other hand, you can see from our other question about an unknown wing - with a manufacturer's plate - that that's not always enough either.

As a studied archaeologist, however, I am familiar with the situation that no written sources are available. And yet we learn to draw meaningful conclusions from other details.

Recently we received a well preserved aircraft part without any further information. Here, too, the nameplate was completely destroyed. With the help of a large museum it could nevertheless be identified very quickly and clearly as a wing part of a JU 88. Helpful was the experience the staff there had with this model. Overall shape, arrangement of the rivet rows, shape of the stiffeners and other details were completely adequate.

In another case, it took a year and intensive research to arrive at a clear result. From an underground aircraft factory near Munich, we received about 100 already banana-shaped cut sheets with the imprint " AWS 3116.5" (a typical aluminum material specification, in this case from the manufacturer Aluminium-Walzwerke Singen). According to the literature, only parts for the ME 109 and ME 262 were produced there. Only when we were able to stop a paper template of our sheet metal on the original fuselage of an ME 262 was the mystery clearly solved: Our sheet metal was intended for the construction of the ME 262 fuselage. In retrospect, one always wonders why it took so long.

me-262-jpg.609734

A delivery of unknown aircraft sheet metal from a former Messerschmitt factory (2014)

Messerschmitt, ME-262, swallow, Deutsches Museum München, kleine Datei.jpg

The moment when the template fit. Our plates were intended for the ME 262.

Exactly, because no one else was willing to buy them for a small price. We process only material that would otherwise probably end up on the scrap. We do this not only to preserve interesting pieces, but also because we don't want to pay much for our raw material.
And - it becomes quite interesting stools, which mostly find their way to lovers of old airplanes and helicopters.

Hell, I would have bought them for a small price, but I do not know if they were advertised here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back