Henschel Hs126 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hs126_45.JPG

Last edited:
Postcard (note original colour photograph, see bottom of picture)

hs126_51_colour postcard.JPG

Last edited:
I agree too. It looks like it might be a hand-tinted original, of a monochrome print, which has then been produced as litho-printed post cards - the 'dot pattern' is visible in the image.
However, it might also be an Agfa colour original, again litho-printed as post cards, bearing in mind the level of four-colour litho printing at that time, which could explain the rather 'soft' appearance of the image.
There was a hand-tinting process, by both Agfa and Kodak, using water-based translucent tints, matching the colour dyes and hues employed in the manufacture of colour photographic materials, supplied in a booklet of paper 'swatches', normally packed in a flat tin, the lid of which was pressed to form small mixing palletes.
The tints were applied by brush (supplied in the tin), by wetting the required swatches with the tip of the brush, mixing the desired colour(s), then 'painting' onto the monochrome print.
It was fairly popular right up to the late 1950's to, early 1960's, before colour-print film became more readily available, at more or less affordable prices, to the general public, in the then popular roll-film formats of '127', '120' and '620', and was commonly used to add colour to faces, summer clothes and so on, in holiday 'happy snaps', and offered as an extra service by photographic processing houses.
It was also used for re-touching professional and commercial colour prints, the type used, for example, in 'glossy' magazines or high-end advertising, the type of work now done, by even an amateur, very simply, with the use of computer software such as 'Photoshop'.
Tinting of the complete image was a skilled art and, as can be imagined, took time and patience, and therefore was fairly expensive.
I think I still have an Eastman Kodak Cololur Tinting kit, packed away somewhere.

On a different note, are there any Henschel 126 aircraft still in existence?
It would be a very interesting, and different, airshow 'warbird' subject.

Shoot me but I think it is a colour picture. Many were made for Signal, calendars etc. See these from Signal and please look again. Granted the print itself is a bit "dotted"

signal 2.jpg
signal 1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back