Here's a test for you all... (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woody99

Recruit
Mar 20, 2024
Hello
I was going thru a scrapbook from my dad's time in WW2 in the Pacific. In there were a couple of pages from the August 1945 edition of Air Force magazine. It included a test as shown.
Not being a very good AAF mind, I'm not sure I got one correct but I thought others might be interested in this piece of WW2 memorabilia. (and sorry, I don't have page 56 with the answers,)
All I can say is 'good luck' for those that try the test.
The sidebar article was about weather forecasting for bombing runs. Now we'd just bring up an app.

Have a fine day!

20240702_192347.jpg

3, 5, 9, 10, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19 :), 20 are easy.

BTW, the full issue can be found on Google Books.

With or without a google search?supercharger
Without - I swear, it was a fair play. Some of questions are about very well known things - at least, for my generation (e.g., DDT, kamikaze), in some cases you need just a bit logic - for instance, I didn't know about the tests of "turbo supercharger" in 1918, but I knew that the B-17 got turboloaders already in 1938 - the answer was quite evident. Ok, I know that now "turbo supercharger" means not the same as "turboloader", however I estimated the probability of that complexity as quite low. And the Ki-61 should be pretty good known for any aviation enthusiast. :)

There was a bit of clever wording in the question about the turbocharger. "High Altitude test" was done with a Liberty engine mounted on the back of truck that had been driven up Pike's Peak to over 14,000ft for the tests.
I assumed that altitude tests were clearly something completely extraordinary in 1918, but there was no doubt about the B-17's turboloaders, so I answered correctly. The question was interesting, so I immediately googled it and was a little bit surprised by the results.
PS. After some thought, I _probably_ would answer questions 1 and 10 correctly - based solely on logic and/or the assumption of a catch. But I didn't know the answer to the rest of the questions.

There was a bit of clever wording in the question about the turbocharger. "High Altitude test" was done with a Liberty engine mounted on the back of truck that had been driven up Pike's Peak to over 14,000ft for the tests.
View attachment 788192
A lot more photos and article here.
Wasn't that used in a TV commercial a few decades ago?

The US had built a number of biplanes using turbo chargers in the late 20s. But to the target audience of that 'test' most of them would have been forgotten, having occurred when they were toddlers or in grade school.
Turbos had also come a long way in the 20 years from 1918 to 1938. Not sure when GE gave up on lubricating them with grease guns but I think it was after the P-30s ?

The US had built a number of biplanes using turbo chargers in the late 20s.
But who was the first to install a turbocharger on an airplane? According to the literature available to me, it was the French in 1919 - they installed a turbocharger on one of the Nieuport-Delage Ni-D 29C1 prototypes to achieve a world altitude record.

But who was the first to install a turbocharger on an airplane? According to the literature available to me, it was the French in 1919 - they installed a turbocharger on one of the Nieuport-Delage Ni-D 29C1 prototypes to achieve a world altitude record.
British had also used one or two turbos in 1920s, at least one may have been bought from the French.
As far as the Magazine goes, American magazine, intended for American service men, in 1945. Bringing in a French airplane is not fair ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back