High Quality Pictures

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks like the B-26 (9th USAAF, based in the UK) is named 'Dinger'. The crewman is exiting the aircraft via the main hatch in the nose wheel well.

Thank you for the clarification once again, Airframes. I'm not too old (16), so thank you for helping me to sort these images out. I notice that you're a pretty notable member, I'm pretty new myself, but I hope to be spending a lot of time on this site. Once again, thanks for helping with the pictures, it means a lot to me.

A B-24 "Liberator" puffs out con-trails as it soars above (Considering the con-trails) Western Europe. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. :)

Attachments

• 1487026966354.jpg
    1487026966354.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 113
Welcome to the forums, and glad to help out.
I'm now officially and 'Old git', so I've had the opportunity to learn a bit over the years !
Can't quite make out the unit markings on that B-24, but I'm guessing it's from 15th USAAF, based in Italy. If so, then it's probably over, or heading to or from, southern Germany, Austria, or the then Czecheslovakia area.

Here's a good one.

Lt. Quentin C. Aansenson of the 366th FG of the 9th Airforce walks away from his P-47D (Coded A8-J) named "Topsy" that was crash landed at A-1 after being hit by flak over Vire, France.

Airframe, are there any aerial warfare documentaries you would recommend? I've been wanting to find some good ones relating to the Western Front and the Mediterranean that focuses more on the Allies but I've been finding few results.

Attachments

• p47-belly.jpg
    p47-belly.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 102
A couple of P-40E fighters sit on the runway as a B-24 flies overhead and a crew member waves, somewhere in the Pacific theatre.
Make that CBI. I've seen this picture before. IIRC, the caption was: "Somewhere in China". I think it was in a chapter about flying the "hump". B-24s and C-87s hauled in a lot of the fuel, ordnance, and supplies that kept China going after the Burma Road was lost.
Cheers
Wes

Last edited:
Notice the tail guns on the B-17's in post 27. Look like a single gun, and the barrel appears to be bigger than the .50s in the other turrets.
Possible 20mm ?

Nope, it's just the camera angle and lighting. This is one of a series of colour shots taken of this formation from Ridgewell, where the formation can be viewed from both sides. Armament is standard B-17G, with the tail guns having the extensions for the flash suppressors.

Post #27. The B-17s are out of Ridgewell, and still over the UK.
Post # 30 That's a B-29 'Superfortress'.

B-29 not a B-17...

Thank you for the clarification, guys.

I was identifying the aircraft by wing shape and engine spacing instead of the actual engine itself. I really made myself out as a fool in that post! :)

Close-up, in-flight view of a Douglas SBD Dauntless piloted by American Lt. George Glacken (left) with his gunner Leo Boulanger, near New Guinea, early April, 1944.

Attachments

• 1487026661534.jpg
    1487026661534.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 79
A Fw-190 (I'd say A-model, but considering my previous mis-calculations I'd take my guess with a grain of salt.) rolling left in a combat turn. Judging by the angle and position of this picture, I'd say the pilot probably didn't remain in the sky for too long afterwards.

Attachments

• Turn 'N Burn.jpg
    Turn 'N Burn.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 78
Thank you for the clarification, guys.

I was identifying the aircraft by wing shape and engine spacing instead of the actual engine itself. I really made myself out as a fool in that post! :)

Close-up, in-flight view of a Douglas SBD Dauntless piloted by American Lt. George Glacken (left) with his gunner Leo Boulanger, near New Guinea, early April, 1944.

No worries. That does not make you a fool.

This forum is a place to learn things. If you are doing that, then you are doing good.

A Fw-190 (I'd say A-model, but considering my previous mis-calculations I'd take my guess with a grain of salt.) rolling left in a combat turn. Judging by the angle and position of this picture, I'd say the pilot probably didn't remain in the sky for too long afterwards.
There's something big right in front of the left horizontal stabilizer. The bailing out pilot maybe ?
But it looks like the cockpit canopy is still there.
That's one frame from a gun camera film, there should be several more stills from the sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back