Hitler letter begged for discount on car

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Hitler letter begged for discount on car - Yahoo! News

BERLIN (AFP) – An imprisoned and impoverished Adolf Hitler wrote to a car dealer begging for a discount on a Mercedes he had his eye on, according to a letter being auctioned in Germany next month.

The letter, excerpts from which were published in the Bild mass circulation daily Wednesday, dates from September 1924, when Hitler was languishing in Landsberg prison after the abortive Munich beer hall putsch.

He said he needed the dealer to knock "a couple of thousand marks" off the price of the grey 11/40 Benz (later Mercedes-Benz) model he was interested in as he was waiting for the proceeds from his book "Mein Kampf".

"The difficulty for me is that ... I cannot expect big proceeds from my works before the middle of December so I am forced to find an advance or a loan from somewhere," wrote Hitler.

"Of course, a few thousand marks would play a very big role in this."

The Behringer auction house in Fuerth, southern Germany, said on its website that it was selling the letter, along with more than 500 "paper objects" from Hitler's spell in prison, on July 2-3.

Other items in the lot include a list of visitors Hitler received and the prison records showing his arrival. The minimum bid has been set at 25,000 euros (31,000 dollars) for the whole lot.

Maybe this is why the people's car was a good idea to him. A car cheap enough for everyone to afford without begging for discounts! :)

Well...DID he get the discount, and if not, then what happened to the car dealer later on???

My thoughts, too. Heh....my guess would be that when people started disappearing in the night after Hitler came to power, Hitler woke up one morning to find a dozen of the latest Benz products, complete with 12-disk CD changer and XM radio (lifetime subscription, of course), all sparkly and lined up in perfect rows outside his apartment.

Well...DID he get the discount, and if not, then what happened to the car dealer later on???

Well, if I were to take a wild guess, I would say in the end that Hitler did not get his desired discount and Mein Kampf flopped. Following his release, he soon discovered the car dealership was owned by a Jew, after which Hitler quickly revised his book, whereupon it became an overnight sensation.

8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back