How dangerous was it to fly ww2 era aircraft even without ever seeing combat.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No reason to suppose any other force was any different. Every RAF pilots account I have read has said that pilots were accustomed to losing friends and fellow students long before they ever saw combat.

Does anyone have access to the WW1 statistics ?
I know they'd be even worse. But I wonder how much ?

While I'm sure the records exist, I wonder if there are any summary reports or would a researcher need to dig through hundreds of documents to get the information. The French and Germans likely kept decent records; I'm not so sure about the Austro-Hungarian (partly because of post-war disruptions permitting their loss) Italian, or British forces

I have a few books (packed away for the move) that cover training losses during the Great War, and they are sobering to say the least.
That time period was early enough in the aviation timeline, that aircraft design contributed a great deal to the losses as well as unrefined pilot technique. It also didn't help that parachutes were looked at as a novelty, too.

An example of the afore-mentioned aircraft design, the Sopwith Camel was good performer, but only for the experienced. It was more than a handful to the uninitiated and it nearly killed as many novice pilots during training as were killed flying it in combat.

As for WWII, here is a great publication focusing on USAAF training accidents during WWII:
https://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/2097/16879/MarlynPierce2013.pdf

No reason to suppose any other force was any different. Every RAF pilots account I have read has said that pilots were accustomed to losing friends and fellow students long before they ever saw combat.
We lost more planes to accident than we did to the enemy in WWII.

By saying "A-36", I'm assuming you mean the P-36, and it was a very responsive, pilot friendly aircraft.
The pilots who flew the P-36 had nothing but high praise for it's performance and agility.

Conversely, I would imagine that the aircraft with reputations for difficult handling or landing would generate higher accident rates.

SB2C and Seafire come to mind

That one instructor, like all our instructors, a veteran of a Vietnam tour. Probably over 2500 hours. Ironic that he could safely get back from a combat tour and die instructing a student in t
All primary flight instructing is risky, to a degree, but fling wing training in a production environment has got to be 10x more so than rigid wing.
I got .1 hour of hover and hover taxi training in a Jetranger, and almost killed us all several times, much to the unruffled amusement of the IP, who was ferrying the bird out to an ordnance proving ground, where he was going to play live target for a radar guided AAA gun under development.
Cheers,
Wes

I saw a figure that is probably in error, that 20,000 were killed in stateside aviation training accidents. Of course a lot of bombers ran into mountains, go lost and whatnot, so crew included. My dad said that about 5% got killed in Navy training.

20,000 is probably way high, that would be 5% of total US war dead!
Unfortunately that 20,000 number sounds believable. From the pilot quotes I've read on individual outfits 10% seemed to be about the going rate of training fatalities for USAAF types. I've only read 3 quotes from pilots concerning this but all 3 recalled about a 10% fatality rate. Even if it were half that it's a truly hair raising statistic.

I've run across a few things lately that made me wonder about this. The first was that the 56th fighter group apparently lost about 10% of their pilots when training in there new p47s stateside( and as far as I know the Thunderbolt had fairly docile handling characteristics compaired to other ww2 fighters). Also I read an interview with a p40 pilot that said the same thing, about a 10% fatality rate durring training.
Lastly, today I ran across a website that listed all the p51 accidents since 1947 and it seems an average of about 1 fatality a year can be atributed to P51 crashes. Cosidering there's only(I think) about 200 p51s in existence that's quite an achievement so to speak.
It looks to me like training and flying a fighter in ww2 was plenty risky even if you never saw combat.
Would love to hear everyones comments on this.

anecdotal speculation. Ding rates probably had a lot to do with what they flew. Maybe much more than high pressure training.
For 15 + years I gave biennials to & flew recreational acro with an ETO P-38 vet & an ETO 51 pilot. 51 jock had been shot down by ground fire twice. They were both terrific at stick and rudder work, not bad on gauges, at home inverted, and, when I first flew with each, did not know how VORs worked. In terms of pure flying they had been extremely well trained. What they did not know about then newish tech stuff they picked up in jig time. They both talked about how many of their contemporaries had bought farm in training. Short answer: lots of them.. Not surprising to me, since they'd been turned loose in medium tricky beasts, like 6s, with very little time. My deduction was you had to have been both good and lucky.
Things got much safer over the years. I was around the T-41 programs in Del Rio during Nam days. In spite of there being a war on, the cadets got lots of dual in souped up C-172s, a far more difficult airplane to kill yourself in than an SNJ or even a BT-13. T-41 was fine to get people ready for Tweety Birds and even T-38s, but flat Continentals perched on nose gears did not prepare you well to handle tailwheels attached to Merlin 61s or R-2800s with alcohol and water.
Related subject you guys might be interested in. See if somebody has any stats on training troubles when the USAF gave A-1s to the VNAF and started flying them themselves (Pleiku '66-'67, maybe later). A-1E reminded me of 1340 Bull Stearmans I'd been flying to dump DDT on cotton in northern Guatemala. Pretty gentle, as that sort of airplane goes. But the military junior birdmen of the day, who'd come up via nose gears and turbines, performed some really entertaining T/Os and lndgs. The ex-47/51 aces in the outfit, bald grandfathers with bifocals who'd been dragooned out of the Pentagon, were right at home, even if they hadn't touched a throttle in years.

These kids in Russia were flying commercial airliners in their early twenties. I thought to myself, no, no, no!
In the 1980s, the commuter airline I was flying for was hiring 23 year old pilots with an aeronautical science degree, 900-1000 hours, and 100 hours multi. I had one from Embry Riddle Arizona in my right seat, who after I read him the JFK ATIS calling for turbulence, windshear, icing, an ILS to minimums, and poor braking action, said "What a way to get my first ACTUAL IFR experience! I've never been inside a cloud before. But I love a challenge!" Turns out he had 600 hours of flight instructing experience under his belt, 150 of it instrument training in the blue Arizona skies, and all of that "hood time". Needless to say, he became PNF and I flew the approach and landing. He got to dispose of the barf bags afterwards.
Cheers,
Wes

200 hours is what army pilots had upon graduation. I guess they were ready to go.

"Craig (2001) proposed that such a killing zone does indeed exist, and that it spans the range of approximately 50 to 350 total flight hours."

This is for GA pilots. Now imagine giving these pilots 1500-2000 HP high performance aircraft after they get their wings and told have a go at it. I guess my Father was rather correct in his thoughts conveyed to me.

Your chance of being KIA was tiny.
50% of aircraft losses were not operational losses.
Collisions, bad weather, engine failure, landing accidents, all took a heavy toll.

They were dangerous times, without many flying aids that pilots have today and without cities lit up at night for example. There was an increase in accidental losses in the RAF during the BoB put down to start of night flying but mainly to cockpit routine. Running out of fuel or crashing into hills due to navigation errors was quite common here in North England as were crashes due to icing on the wings. Collisions were also more frequent than I first thought.

If you survived your 25 mission tour on a bomber, you could be sent to an OCU as an instructor that was not much safer than operational flying.

Trainee pilots, war weary aircraft, lots of take offs and landings, the skies over the OCU full of trainee pilots - not a good mix.

Last edited:
1562280225936.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back