How do I get access to a USAF aircraft's record card? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wirbelwind

Airman
Sep 8, 2009
I am specifically looking for the Aircraft Record Card for the P-51D "Worry Bird" (serial# 44-73287).

There's already lots of information on this particular aircraft on the internet, however this time I'd really like to get my hands on some official records, in whatever form they may be.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys. I've sent emails to both organizations asking for the record card.

I'll post back here once I've gotten a response.

Not sure where you're located, but Maxwell AFB, in Alabama has the archives, and they are open to the public. I was able to find quite a bit on my father's Squadron and crew. Sadly he card for his plane was missing and I suspect was pulled when it crashed in he 50's and never sent back for filing.

Terry

Not sure where you're located, but Maxwell AFB, in Alabama has the archives, and they are open to the public. I was able to find quite a bit on my father's Squadron and crew. Sadly he card for his plane was missing and I suspect was pulled when it crashed in he 50's and never sent back for filing.

Terry

I am located in Canada, so unfortunately visiting in person is out of the question.

OK, I understand. Perhaps you could contact them and see what options they have that might be able to help you, and let them know you are located in Canada. I was very successful in researching some WWI pilots, including pictures, through Ottawa.

Terry

OK, I understand. Perhaps you could contact them and see what options they have that might be able to help you, and let them know you are located in Canada. I was very successful in researching some WWI pilots, including pictures, through Ottawa.

Terry

Was that through the aviation and space museum in Ottawa? I've been there so many times. Absolutely love it. :)

Naturally my wife rolls her eyes every time I mention wanting to revisit the place.

Was that through the aviation and space museum in Ottawa? I've been there so many times. Absolutely love it. :)

Naturally my wife rolls her eyes every time I mention wanting to revisit the place.

That was a long time ago, but I believe it was. I actually sent them some material I had so maybe that's part of why I got such help. But I recall them being very nice and helpful.

Terry

Thanks.

Looks like the archives are closed due to COVID. Sigh.
Yeah, we're too poor to do what Finland did and put the entire national archives online (OK, the scanning may still be going on). Want any battalion war diary from the Winter War? No problem.

Same reason we can't afford new turf among all the monuments in D.C. (the Mall). The country country's been in a sustained depression since 1980 and no one has any money. Besides, all of those tourists from overseas spending money in hotels, restaurants, gift shops, beauty salons, golf courses, etc., etc. only cause terrible congestion in the capital. Better to make it unattractive and unpleasant to keep them away.

Anyhow, no one is interested in all this history stuff, and it was way too expensive to keep renting the warehouse that stored all of the archives of the early development of jet aircraft for the Navy. Letting Google scan it all for free would have been far too expensive, and giving it away to collectors would have been an illegal gift of government property.

Really, burning it all was the cheapest, simplest, and fairest option.

No, I'm not bitter.

Terry

That is where the Air Force Historical Research Agency is located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back