How good is, was.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
....the Dragunov rifle?

SVD_Dragunov.jpg

I would have thought that with the heavier cartridge and a decent sight it would be very useful in places like Afghanistan were the range would often be beyond 300m.

The Chinese version is an exact copy but the Romanian version is only a look a like and is a different gun based more on the AK.
Genuine Soviet Dragunovs go for crazy money in the USA
To call the Dragunov a M-14 with optics? People have been sent to the gulag for less!!!!!!

The Dragunov offers a long range standoff capability which a bog standard 5.56 assault rifle can't match. But then again so would a Gewehr 98.

Last edited:
Main improvement in range for the Dragunov is the sight.

So much of the effective range of the Dragunov (or any designated Marksman) rifle depends on the quality of the ammunition and the skill set of the shooter.

Russian (or Warsaw pact/com bloc) ammo quality is all over the place, some can be good, very good. But some can be a lot less than desired.

A "bog standard 5.56 assault rifle" if an M-16 with 20in barrel and fired by a soldier who knows what he is doing (rarer than good russian ammo) can do surprisingly well out to 500yds or so. An optical sight won't extend the range much but will make it easier to use and make the light situation a bit less critical.

A bog standard Gewehr 98 using bog standard ammo is not an easy rifle to use at long range.

The Dragunov was meant to go further than 500 yards.
A few points... Dragunov has a bayonet attachment and also has to be used for CQB and not for extreme accuracy.
It is kinda mass produced so offers more than a AK with irons in the hands of poorly trained cannon fodder...but isn't the commie space magic that it's held to be.
It would be interesting to see if the Dragunov offers more than the PSL or the Yugo M76 both are AK clones.
The Dragunov SVD uses the 7.62x54mmR which is the same as the Mosin and PKM and SVT-40. That old cartridge offers more full power goodness than the intermediate 7.62x39
Itsn't a sniper rifle and you wouldn't design a sniper rifle like the SVD.
But you probably would design a SVT replacement like the SVD.

The ammo may be the limiting factor.
I don't like 5 shot strings for accuracy. It is better than 3 shot strings but not as good as 10 shot strings. And even 10 shot strings are not always definitive.
I once did an ammo test of two different lots of .22 ammo. 3 ten round groups of each lot. Lot "A" had the best group, Lot "B" had the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best groups with Lot "A" bringing up the rear with 5th and 6th sized groups. I needed over 800 rounds to take to the National matches. Which lot would you choose?

Trying to compare single examples of different factories guns doesn't prove a whole lot either. You can get a clanger from anybody, you can also sometimes get a gun that defies expectations (to the good) or for some reason decides it "likes" a particular manufacturing lot of ammo. I shot for a team that in the days before I shot for it had five accurized M1 rifles and they discovered that a particular "lot" of WIN 1952 Armour piercing ammo would shoot under 2 minutes of angle in all 5 guns. AP ammo wasn't supposed to do that. And older or newer AP ammo wouldn't do it either. One of the team members had access to the underground test tunnel at WInchester.

Since it uses regular ammo which is also in the PKM then that's solves a problem in supply.
The SVD does have the X factor which certainly makes it desirable to a collector.
So answer the question....yes it's good but its not this super worshipped made out of Gold and unicorn tears that some say it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back