I was recently told with utter incredulity that someone has been going around claiming that the P-38 captured 90% of all PR photos taken over WW2 europe.
Some digging found this was from Wikipedia, who in turn cite the Lockheed Martin website, who in turn (apparently not having used their own archives at all?)
cite thre books and a LIFE Magazine article for their official P-38 webpage.
A new American fighter, the P-38 Lightning, peeled down from the skies over Iceland on August14, 1942. True to its name, it was akin to a force of nature: fast, unforeseen, and immensely powerful.
www.lockheedmartin.com
I began to have very serious doubts about the scholarly integrity of the webpage within the first few sentences:
"Within six months, as the P-38 showed its versatility in North Africa, a lone hysterical German pilot surrendered to soldiers at an Allied camp near Tunisia, pointing up to the sky and repeating one phrase—
"der Gableschwanz Teufl"—over and over."
(this is total nonsense, as has been thoroughly proven to be so on this very forum).
Anyway... this webpage also says:
"P-38 ... as a reconnaissance aircraft, obtained 90 percent of the aerial film captured over Europe"
I found this statistically immensely unlikely, even if the F5 had five cameras fitted.
So I emailed the National Collection of Aerial Photography (incidentally here in Scotland, amazingly), who gave me the following information today:
"That amounts to 22,372 missions of which 18805 are RAF-flown, and 3567 are USAAF-flown. We do not have a frame count available for each sortie, so these figures can only give an indication of the split in effort...This includes missions flown from the UK, Allied-occupied Europe, Italy, Gibraltar and North Africa."
They have 5.5million frames, but state some were shredded, so as he says, these figures are only useful as a relative split. not absolute numbers.
Therefore, even if EVERY single USAAF mission used the P-38, and if ALL of those were the F5 with five cameras, and if ALL the RAF PR aircraft only had ONE camera,
thats still less than the RAF total number of frames taken (naturally this assumes for this very broad point that all aircraft took about the same number of
frames per mission, per camera, which I`m sure isnt true as you`ll have all sorts of different mission parameters).
For Lockheed`s website to be correct, we not only have to skew the data as above, but we then still have to somehow multiply the P-38 images taken
by NINE times.
I like many, strongly suspect that the truth is that the P-38 took 90% of all images over Europe as taken by the USAAF.
I also asked the National Collection of Aerial Photography about the USAAF split in PR aircraft used, who replied:
"At a superficial level, most US-flown sorties in Europe would have employed the F-4/F-5 variant of the P-38"
Lockheed cite the following sources for their webpage, sadly I do not have all of these so cannot say if indeed any of them
actually say 90% of ALL PR missions over Europe or just USAAF ? Can anyone come up with anything further.
Certainly from the response I had from NCAP, the Lockheed claim seems statistically very unlikely.
(These are the sources that Lockheed Martin used to write their webpage, of which I`ve only read Stanaways book)