How good was the soviet air force? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The armor did not provide the IL-2 a reliable protection against neither large-caliber bullets nor anti-aircraft artillery shells. The only advantage of armor was better pilot survivability during emergency landings.
The distribution of armor thickness was not optimal, there were areas where there were no hits at all and vice versa, areas with a high percentage of hits had insufficient armor. Nearly every penetration of the cowl armor resulted in engine damage. Only the lower cowl armor provided sufficient protection.
In general, the IL-2 concept was very controversial - it was a bad idea to use a liquid-cooled engine on an attack aircraft. The result was a heavy, poorly maneuverable and rather vulnerable aircraft. I have to repeat: under the same conditions, obsolete fighters without armor used for ground attack suffered many times fewer losses. Yes, they were not as well armed as the Il, but nevertheless they could be very effective (for example, the I-207, which was not built in series, was highly appreciated). They also did not use the high-octane gasoline that the IL-2 required. There were other alternatives, starting with the very promising Vultee A-11.
The whole story of Soviet attack aircraft development is a clear illustration of the total inefficiency of the Soviet system.

The armor did not provide the IL-2 a reliable protection against neither large-caliber bullets nor anti-aircraft artillery shells. The only advantage of armor was better pilot survivability during emergency landings.
The distribution of armor thickness was not optimal, there were areas where there were no hits at all and vice versa, areas with a high percentage of hits had insufficient armor. Nearly every penetration of the cowl armor resulted in engine damage. Only the lower cowl armor provided sufficient protection.
In general, the IL-2 concept was very controversial - it was a bad idea to use a liquid-cooled engine on an attack aircraft. The result was a heavy, poorly maneuverable and rather vulnerable aircraft. I have to repeat: under the same conditions, obsolete fighters without armor used for ground attack suffered many times fewer losses. Yes, they were not as well armed as the Il, but nevertheless they could be very effective (for example, the I-207, which was not built in series, was highly appreciated). They also did not use the high-octane gasoline that the IL-2 required. There were other alternatives, starting with the very promising Vultee A-11.
The whole story of Soviet attack aircraft development is a clear illustration of the total inefficiency of the Soviet system.
Interesting. I have read that the Su-2 could have been a good plane. IIRC it had the lowest loss rate per average missions. (IL-2, Su-2, Pe-2/3)
It's from Wikipedia, I know, but it does come from a source "Soviet combat aircraft of the Second World War".
It's ~halfway down the page.

The Su-2 was, in general, a quite successful versatile airplane. It was mainly used during the initial period of the war, when Soviet aviation was in crisis after the shock of the first days of the war. Nevertheless, the efficiency of the Su-2 was quite high. There were several reasons for this. The Su-2 was simple to operate and easily mastered by the crews. This increased the pilots' chances of gaining sufficient combat experience. The airplane was robust and was able to resist enemy hits. The Su-2 was conceived as a pure bomber and had no cannons - this, in fact, was its main disadvantage compared to the Il-2. But it could lift up to 600 kg of bomb load (up to 700 kg on tests) - the same amount was usually lifted by the twin-engined Pe-2! The Su-2 could not bomb from dive, however the Pe-2 was also used mainly as a level bomber until mid-1943 at least. In addition, a significant number of Su-2s were located on the southern sector of the front, where the activity of enemy fighters was lower, and the operating conditions corresponded exactly to the ideas according to which the airplane was designed. In 1942 Su-2 regiments had on average more experienced pilots than Il-2 and Pe-2 regiments, apparently this is the main reason for the lower losses, both combat and non-combat. In the same air division, Su-2 losses could be many times lower than Pe-2 losses (see the book by Dmitry Khazanov, unfortunately, only in Russian). This does not mean that the Su-2 had any outstanding qualities and could replace the Pe-2, but rather that the Pe-2 was insufficiently effective.
Although the regiment commanders and Su-2 crews were against the termination of serial production of the aircraft in 1942, the plant was decided to transfer to the production of the Il-2 M-82 despite the poor performance of the latter. Stalin did not like Pavel Sukhoi. The Soviet system in action...
Before the war, Sukhoi designed a very promising ShB (attack bomber) with four wing-mounted ShKAS and 600 kg of bomb load. If two ShKAS were replaced by 23-mm VYa, the installation of the M-82 allowed to get an airplane with the same armament as IL-2, but very probably with much better flight performance. The question of the necessity of armor for an aircraft with an air-cooled engine remains open. From my point of view, armor only deteriorated flight performance, providing no real protection for the crew. It is necessary to analyze statistical data - in particular, they are mentioned by Rastrenin in his books.

PS. The topic has been already discussed earlier (IL-2 doesn't suck as bad as the SU-2). I generally agree with Dimlee's opinion - seems that we read the same books about the Il-2 and Su-2.

Last edited:
When I think of WW2 air combat i think of the US with the mustangs, the British with the Spitfires, the Germans with 109s and 190s, the Japanese with Zeros, and the Italians with the RE.2001. I almost never hear of soviet air to air. I have heard of the Il-2 and IL-10 which are both ground attack. I have heard other forum users refer to the "Yaks". I know they are made by Yakovlev but I don't think that the official designation was Yak. Was it? Was there also other companys making soviet fighters. I know ilyushin made the IL series but from what I know they are primarily ground attackers.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer this. Sorry if it was a stupid question. :)
Don't forget the Polikarpov - still active as a second line fighter in 1942, they acted as hornets protecting parachuting airmen. When the Old Man was in Severomorsk with the RAAF, there was an Yak on standing patrol - he was jumped by a Bf109. The Russian did a violent loop and came out of it with guns blazing and got the 109. Separately the Australians coached the Ruskis to maintain a standing patrol overhead. A raid started and up went the AA. The Yak on patrol immediately had its tail shot of by "Friendly AA; the pilot abandoned and the Yak did a vertical dive going through the roof of the Australian barracks - through 4 floors and ended up in the basement. A few parts of that Yak are in Australia.

and the germans with their mineshell design concentrated more on destroying the airframe itself and make the plane unflyable in that sense circumventing armour.

regarding success of the IL-2 when opposition was relatively low:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td1jRKKGvNw&ab_channel=Milit%C3%A4r.Technik.Geschichte.-JensWehner

Most ground attack/CAS aircraft were easy to shoot down unless the forces using them had air superiority or air supremacy. The Stuka became a victim of this during the Battle of Britain. Even planes like the A-36 or Hawker Typhoon (and other fighters that were converted into CAS/attack aircraft) were often vulnerable during attack runs because of the need to slow down to make bombing/rocket/strafing runs with any accuracy. For the most part during World War II, in essence, speed was life. Yes, things like the Typhoon, P-47 and especially the A-36 could easily be maneuvered like fighters (which essentially they were, since the P-47 and Typhoon were outright converted fighters and the A-36 was an Allison powered P-51 converted for the attack fighter/dive bomber/CAS role) helped with survivability, but anytime you fly slow, you do make an easier target for AA or fighters attempting to intercept.

The Il-2 was far from alone in this (see also the Stuka and the Hs-129), though the Il-2 and the Hs-129's armor did provide some margin of protection for the pilots and some systems. IE, some guy with a MG-34 or MG-42 or a Maxim wasn't going to do much against a Il-2 or Hs-129. Hence one reason why so many 20mm and larger AA guns were commonly in use for the Germans and the Soviets, and even the Americans and the British/Commonwealth.

Most ground attack/CAS aircraft were easy to shoot down unless the forces using them had air superiority or air supremacy. The Stuka became a victim of this during the Battle of Britain. Even planes like the A-36 or Hawker Typhoon (and other fighters that were converted into CAS/attack aircraft) were often vulnerable during attack runs because of the need to slow down to make bombing/rocket/strafing runs with any accuracy. For the most part during World War II, in essence, speed was life. Yes, things like the Typhoon, P-47 and especially the A-36 could easily be maneuvered like fighters (which essentially they were, since the P-47 and Typhoon were outright converted fighters and the A-36 was an Allison powered P-51 converted for the attack fighter/dive bomber/CAS role) helped with survivability, but anytime you fly slow, you do make an easier target for AA or fighters attempting to intercept.

The Il-2 was far from alone in this (see also the Stuka and the Hs-129), though the Il-2 and the Hs-129's armor did provide some margin of protection for the pilots and some systems. IE, some guy with a MG-34 or MG-42 or a Maxim wasn't going to do much against a Il-2 or Hs-129. Hence one reason why so many 20mm and larger AA guns were commonly in use for the Germans and the Soviets, and even the Americans and the British/Commonwealth.
Yeah, cannons were the way to go, instead of solid projectiles that more often than not left an entry hole and an exit - if it didn't hit anything vital it just left holes - that said a 0.5" would be an awful shock to the system! I read somewhere an RAF report of 2 pilots who got to test the A36 Apache at the AAE Unit decided to do an end of day excursion to France and back shooting up a lot of stuff - they were really impressed!
Shoots up my first argument! But a 0.5 projectile is so much heavier than a 0.303" Hampdemon

When it comes to the Il-2 Sturmovik, just looking at the cowl armor which was 6 mm thick and basically enveloped the engine, this does seems to provide quite decent protection:

Because at 600 m range even MG17 7.92 mm AP does not penetrate 6 mm armor according to the German's own analysis. So given that most German small arms fire was with "ordinary" (non AP) infantry rounds, Wehrmacht soldiers firing rifles and MG's at a low flying Il-2 would have little impact on the Il-2's engine.

But looking at German aircraft ammunition instead, and beginning with the MG131 13 mm, HE is not even listed so would have no effect independent of range and angle I assume. Same goes for 13 mm AP at 600 m which will not penetrate even at 90 deg. 13 mm AP at 300 m will only penetrate at angles bigger than 60 deg, meaning this can only be done in side attacks rendering hits from rear quarter ineffective.

The MG17 7.92 mm will not as previously pointed out penetrate at any angle at a range greater than 600 m. However, at 300 m it will penetrate at an angle of more than 60 deg and at 300 at an angle of more than 50 deg.

Then looking at the MG151 20 mm, AP will penetrate at 300 m at angles larger than 30 deg, but only at an angle greater than 40 deg at 600 m which again makes the engine cowling impregnable when it comes to rear quarter attacks. And interestingly enough it seems that HEAP will also penetrate 6 mm armor at an angle of more than 30 deg at 300 m. Maybe due to the combination of kinetic and the explosive effect of the HE filling forcing shrapnel through the plate?

However, none of the figures in the data compilation show any data for angles below 30 deg. My guess is that this is because at such small angles the rounds will simply ricochet off but that is of course supposition but seems likely to me.

However, in summary, if I have interpreted the German data correctly (Handbuch der Flugzeug Bordwaffenmunition 1936-1945), then it does seem like the 6 mm engine cowl armor on the Il-2 will protect the engine quite well from infantry small arms fire and from German fighter attacks (even 13 and 20 mm cannon fire) from the rear quarter.

Last edited:
The problem is that the armor stopped completely aft of the cockpit. In early IL-2 seaters the gunner did not get armor (?). '
Granted a few dozen hits of 7.9mm in the rear fuselage and tail was usually not enough to bring down a plane unless control cables/push rods were cut.
Wings were unarmored and again, a few dozen holes seldom brought down a plane, it probably wasn't going to come back tomorrow. Took a while to inspect/patch.

Things change a bit with 20mm hits. Yes the IL-2 was strong but 20mm hits in rear fuselage/tail and wing had a much better chance of damaging/breaking structural components or damaging control surfaces. Some planes with good pilots made it home with large parts of the control surfaces missing. We don't hear about the pilots who didn't make it home with a large part of a control surface missing.

The IL-2 has been described as a flying tank but only the drive system and crew were armored. The suspension and track system (wings and flight controls) were not.
A tank with a broken track can still fight (poorly) but a plane with broken wing cannot fly.

The problem is that the armor stopped completely aft of the cockpit. In early IL-2 seaters the gunner did not get armor (?). '
Granted a few dozen hits of 7.9mm in the rear fuselage and tail was usually not enough to bring down a plane unless control cables/push rods were cut.
Wings were unarmored and again, a few dozen holes seldom brought down a plane, it probably wasn't going to come back tomorrow. Took a while to inspect/patch.

Things change a bit with 20mm hits. Yes the IL-2 was strong but 20mm hits in rear fuselage/tail and wing had a much better chance of damaging/breaking structural components or damaging control surfaces. Some planes with good pilots made it home with large parts of the control surfaces missing. We don't hear about the pilots who didn't make it home with a large part of a control surface missing.

The IL-2 has been described as a flying tank but only the drive system and crew were armored. The suspension and track system (wings and flight controls) were not.
A tank with a broken track can still fight (poorly) but a plane with broken wing cannot fly.

I agree that calling it a flying tank is a bit of an exaggeration. But one has to say it was quite well protected: I don't have any picture of the 2-seat version but in the single-seater the pilot basically sits in a 6 mm armor cocoon with a hefty 13 mm back plate behind him (See attached picture from 1944 Luftwissen magazine).

The German "Handbuch" data on ammo indicates that that Il-2 back plate would with the help of the aluminum fuselage shell be just enough to stop a 20 mm MG151 AP at around 100 m. What's weird though, is that the German data indicates that the HEAP would penetrate 14 mm at right angles and 13 mm under the same conditions up to a slant angle of 80 deg which I would not have guessed had I not seen the data.

Then about the other structure like wings and empennage etc: For sure: That would be susceptible to HE and "Mine" shells but to knock out enough monocoque structure to make the aircraft unflyable would take quite a few 20 mm hits since there are so many alternative load paths. Somewhere I've seen a P-51 that made it back home with basically half the rear fuselage blown away so monocoque structures are really damage tolerant.

Il2 armor from Luftwissen 1944.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back