How many German Aircraft were claimed by RAF?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CTO

Recruit
Mar 20, 2005
Hi!

Does anybody know this number?

No responses? I don't understand.

How can some compare VVS / RAF and don't know even the claims of RAF.
IRRC i have read, that fighter command claimed ~10.000 kills, but i have wondered what Bomber Command had claimed.

Well whats not to understand, you dont seem to know them either!? I dont think anyone actually knows the number claimed by any side, there is just too many contradictions to the claims from any side. They will probably never be confirmed

Here is what I have found though on the subject and it is not much. Also the sources are not that great other then the Imperial War Museum so take them lightly:

RAF claims of Luftwaffe aircraft by type: (note this is not everytype of aircraft and does not include bomber command)

British Aircraft (all theatres):
Spitfire: 2,470
Hurricane: 1,120
Typhoon: 790
Tempest: 980
Whirlwind: 275

Above RAF figures are only for air claims, no ground claims.
From Imperial War Museum

That totals around 24,000 claims by the Western Allies. Say allow another 6,000 for aircraft destroyed by Bomber gunners (RAF and US) and RAF ground claims. Round it off to 30,000. A very impressive figure no?

During the course of the European war the Britsh lost 22,000 aircraft, the US 18,500 and the Russians almost 75,000 planes! (NB figures are rounded off). The Luftwaffe lost approximately 94,500 aircraft of all types, including 38,900 fighters, 9800 night fighters and 21,000 bombers. (NB figures drawn from the book The Luftwaffe, by John Killen)

So if the Western Allies accounted for approx 30,000 aircraft, who accounted for the remaining 64,500? The V.V.S.?
http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID2/810.html#3

CTO said:
No responses? I don't understand.

How can some compare VVS / RAF and don't know even the claims of RAF.
IRRC i have read, that fighter command claimed ~10.000 kills, but i have wondered what Bomber Command had claimed.
If you'd bother to do some research on your own, you might come up with some figures. I'd check multiple sources if I were you. But then, I see that Adler was kind enough to do a bit of looking for you.

It's incredible how many aircraft were destroyed. It's almost impossible to imagine it in today's world. :shock:

The world will never see anything like it again that is for sure. There were more Bf-109's built during the whole war then the largest airforce today has in aircraft.

the real problem is that the number of planes claimed in both sides were used like propaganda, so the numbers used to be increased....I think

Yes numbers were inflated but the massive amounts of aircraft losst is still in the 10s of thousands. If you look at the quote I posted it is actually what each country claimed that they lost not what was claimed against them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back