how much to buy and run a war bird

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I know nothing about warbirds, but I guess a lot of the operating costs would depend on how ubiquitous the aircraft was in WWII (correct me if I'm wrong). The DC-3/C-47 was produced in squillions and is still operating today so I'd imagine keeping one in the air would be relatively (stress 'relatively') cheap. I inagine also that aircooled aircraft would be cheaper to maintain and run than liquid cooled.
How does the Yak-3 replica stack up? Are Allisons cheaper to run than Merlins? Is the wooden structure easier to repair than aluminium?

A DC3 is still horribly expensive to operate, for a 30-odd seater. And given that there isn't much comparable being flown, the term 'relatively' doesn't really work.

As far as aluminium vs. wooden structure repairs, aluminium is easier to repair, and the skills required to effect such repairs are more readily available now.

Even a 172 Cessna ain't cheap to keep, after you figure insurance, hangar fees, upkeep, maintenance, etc. My brother's got a 172, wanting to upgrade, but not finding anything affordable nonetheless.

And of course, for the cost of a shovel, and an air ticket to Burma ...............

Ha, Ha, Yep - wait 'till they've all left empty handed, quietly pitch your own tent and dig where they haven't. Crikey, let me know if your spade knocks against anything vaguely crate-ish.

I'll let you know, once I've returned from investigating the cache of brand new, still in their crates Mosquitos, hidden in an abandoned coal mine near Wigan.
Oops! I've let the secret slip out ! Darn!!

Well...there is that sadly deteriorating B-25 that Charles has been keeping an eye on...

Update. The Franklin B-25 has been acquired by an Aussie outfit, Reevers. Maybe Wayne knows more. The aircraft
has been shipped to Australia and will be refurbished as a Dutch B-25. Check them out on FaceBook, Reevers Warbirds.

Charles

Update. The Franklin B-25 has been acquired by an Aussie outfit, Reevers. Maybe Wayne knows more. The aircraft
has been shipped to Australia and will be refurbished as a Dutch B-25. Check them out on FaceBook, Reevers Warbirds.

Charles
That's awesome news, Charles!

Thanks for the update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back