how much to buy and run a war bird

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Basket

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 27, 2007
I got some money saved and wanna fly me some history.

What it cost me?

Lets go P-51 but anything WW2 will do.

I got $5 for gas and $30 for a jacket.

A P-47 was on the market in 2008 (I think) for a mere 2.2 million dollars. It ain't gonna be cheap to run either :)
Cheers
Steve

There are 2 P-51s available on Courtesy Aircraft ranging between 1.3M and 3M US! Of course the purchase price is really just the price of admission. From discussions on other forums a P-51 will cost you roughly about $400 US to fly per hour.

Tom P.

I spoke to one of the docents at the Virginia Military Aviation History Museum in Virginia Beach, and he said the museum owner (apparently a wealthy collector) needed capital and was selling off some plenas of the collection (which is extraordinary, see below) He put up for sale a Tex Hill autographed P-40E and is reported to have turned down an offer of 1.5 million for the aircraft.

Military Aviation Museum | Home

I was told by a Mustang owner, Bob Loves old plane, the only difference between a boat and a plane is.... there is a bigger hole to throw your money into over your head!

$5,000.00 US in 1991 to overhaul the radiator!

I'm in, I will go in half with ya!! But I just dont see an airshow operator paying to see a P-40 with worn off paint, duct tape, leaking oil and coolant, and one tire filled with fix-a-flat, at an airshow. But man that would be cool!

The FAA would just love it!

*** Here's an example.
I got to fly in to an air show at Moffett Field, CA in a TBM.
When we were leaving a Navy service truck came by and asked if we needed anything. The pilot was checking the engine oil. "We could use about 5 Gallons to get us up to minimums" he says........ it was an hour and a half flight back to our base! Via Half Moon Bay, Golden Gate Bridge and Napa then to the Oakland A.P.

Last edited:
I'm in, I will go in half with ya!! But I just dont see an airshow operator paying to see a P-40 with worn off paint, duct tape, leaking oil and coolant, and one tire filled with fix-a-flat, at an airshow. But man that would be cool!

And a damn sight more realistic that the highly-polished birds we see at airshows! :)

Not complaining...simply observing that the operative item in warbird is WAR. These machines were expendable and treated as such. I'm very, VERY glad that there are people with the time, skills and resources (yes, including money, quids, dosh, greenbacks, moolah, spondoolies etc) to keep these aircraft flying.

Platinum warbirds has a Bf109E up for sale, price reduced to a cool $3.75 million. Pocket change, considering it is werk number 3579 and flown by Hans Joachim Marseille when he was just a Fahnrich. It's a beautiful plane, very good video on their website.

T-6 Texan is WW2 era also. The price range seem to be from 115,000 to 250,000 $.
And easy to fly also.

One bazillion dollars

dr-evil-one-million-dollars.jpg

Last edited:
If you're no quite so WW2-centered in your thinking, you can pick up a CJ-6 for $60-$80k. They're also fairly cheap to operate. You would probably be looking at under $200 per hour to run. That's a bit of a guess, as I've only got comparable NZ costs.

I know nothing about warbirds, but I guess a lot of the operating costs would depend on how ubiquitous the aircraft was in WWII (correct me if I'm wrong). The DC-3/C-47 was produced in squillions and is still operating today so I'd imagine keeping one in the air would be relatively (stress 'relatively') cheap. I inagine also that aircooled aircraft would be cheaper to maintain and run than liquid cooled.
How does the Yak-3 replica stack up? Are Allisons cheaper to run than Merlins? Is the wooden structure easier to repair than aluminium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back