How should a novice or non modeler judge a GB model?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SaparotRob

Unter Gemeine Geschwader Murmeltier XIII
Mar 12, 2020
Long Island, NY
Just what it says. How do you guys look at a model? What are the tip-offs of an extraordinary effort?

Large amounts of small denominations is better.

Build Quality - visible seams? glue on glass? wonky landing gear, ordnance? wings/tail unsymmetrical?
Paint - runs, brush marks, overspray?
Decals - crooked, unsymmetrical, upside down? silvering?

In the end, after you've looked at the above, what's your overall impression of the model? Do you like it or not (though your overall views of the real subject shouldn't play into it - Terry WILL put a Wildcat in first place if he's honest!)

Large amounts of small denominations is better.

Build Quality - visible seams? glue on glass? wonky landing gear, ordnance? wings/tail unsymmetrical?
Paint - runs, brush marks, overspray?
Decals - crooked, unsymmetrical, upside down? silvering?

In the end, after you've looked at the above, what's your overall impression of the model? Do you like it or not (though your overall views of the real subject shouldn't play into it - Terry WILL put a Wildcat in first place if he's honest!)
I'm going to look for a post of Terry's and give him a "bacon" if what you said is true.

I rarely use decals from the box and have a large collection of national markings, serial numbers and letters
Not necessarily the 'different marking than what was intended by the mfg but 'mixing' tail numbers and other markings. May not have understood what you meant? You mix them and as such there was never a combination like it flown?

I may some day join the fun of a GB. I'm concerned that my applications of camo (patterns), markings (numbers and such) would be a penalty if not authentic? But if reading correctly, I can paint whatever and be judged on the paint 'application' as well as how well the decals look regardless of their matching the craft? If so I will be more inclined to join.

I may some day join the fun of a GB. I'm concerned that my applications of camo (patterns), markings (numbers and such) would be a penalty if not authentic? But if reading correctly, I can paint whatever and be judged on the paint 'application' as well as how well the decals look regardless of their matching the craft? If so I will be more inclined to join.

I would say go for it I have entered a folding wing Sea Hurricane mkII that never existed.

Authenticity is not a requirement for GBs. But if you do a pink Mustang with green stars, you may lose points for overall impression even if it's a nice paint job!

Fastmogrel just did a folding-wing Hurricane which never existed but it was allowed for the GB. So jump in - we'd love to have you join.

Ok! I'm AR. Reading the GB rules. Rule 8:

8.)Entrants are required to declare the following:- User name, First name, Category (see below), scale(s) entered, kit manufacturer (or scratch-built), model type (eg FW190A8), details of markings/unit/pilot/date as available.

Can 'as available' translate to unknown or not applicable when creating the entry heading? If so I'm definitely good to go! Now all I need to find is a night fighter kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back