How to cut open panels on an aircraft model (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wolfman_63

Airman 1st Class
Jan 20, 2014
Schaumburg IL
I made a video (with the assistance of my talented son) of a tutorial on how to cut open panels on model aircraft. You can do this if you plan on opening panels on a model to detail the interior of an aircraft panel. I made this while opening the wing panels on my P-47D build to show the ammunition bays in the wing. Check out the video in the Tips and Tricks section. Cutting open panels on aircraft models.

dscn2299.jpg

dscn2312.jpg

You did not find it necessary to thin out the plastic adjacent to the hole to get the proper scale effect? I plan to convert a drop tank to a cannon pod with an access door open and I am pretty sure I'll have to thin out the plastic.

You did not find it necessary to thin out the plastic adjacent to the hole to get the proper scale effect? I plan to convert a drop tank to a cannon pod with an access door open and I am pretty sure I'll have to thin out the plastic.

In this case no, The photo etch bay fits inside the cutout so the thickness is utilized to hold the bay in place. If the bay was larger than the panel I would have thinned it out to the wall of the bay.

Beautiful work but a very steady hand required and it's much more difficult on curved surfaces. On my 1/48 B-29 I used a "razor" saw blade. The kerf was thin enough so that the cutout sections fit back into the aircraft with no problems. With all that interior detail I just could not see closing it all up and hiding it by putting the two fuselage sections together
DCP_1460.JPG
DCP_1480.JPG
DCP_1459.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back