How useful was this camouflage? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

João Yazalde

Airman
Apr 25, 2022
I'd be afraid to fly in a plane painted like this, because no matter where I fly, I'm going to stand out like a tomato among eggs. I understand that a green camouflage will help you go unnoticed over vegetation, but wouldn't a camouflage like this make a contrasting difference?
A+ Gallery.jpg

I'd be afraid to fly in a plane painted like this, because no matter where I fly, I'm going to stand out like a tomato among eggs. I understand that a green camouflage will help you go unnoticed over vegetation, but wouldn't a camouflage like this make a contrasting difference?
View attachment 677781

Actually grey has been proven to be a very good camouflage. It helps you blend better with horizon and the clouds.

Why do you think most modern AF paint their aircraft some form of grey today rather than green or camouflage? In the army we even painted some of our aircraft grey because we found it was better. I took these pics in Iraq for instance. See how the AH-64 is painted grey not green or traditional camouflage.

4EB45E96-9400-405C-A34C-467D2A178792.jpeg
7F09DB64-7BA6-4852-8E59-A62F7F142A8E.jpeg

Actually grey has been proven to be a very good camouflage. It helps you blend better with horizon and the clouds.

Why do you think most modern AF paint their aircraft some form of grey today rather than green or camouflage? In the army we even painted some of our aircraft grey because we found it was better. I took these pics in Iraq for instance. See how the AH-64 is painted grey not green or traditional camouflage.

View attachment 677782View attachment 677783

Even soviets changed the "green" camouflage used at the beginning of the WW2 into the "greyish" one for the later period.

la5.jpg

La-5FN.jpg

la-7.jpg

Yak-1.jpg

Yak1_.jpg

yak-1B.jpg

Yak-9D.jpg

the pic source: the net.

The F-4s and F-16s at Carswell were largely dark grey, with light grey noses. Our -52s and -135s were dark OD/almost black all around.

F-16_Romania2.jpg

B-52-LEMO-17.05.21.jpg

Pics pulled from the internet, and likely not our actual planes -- but representative of the paint schemes all the same.

But I feel that this model did exaggerate. It couldn't survive the day, only the night. Although I have always believed that the color does not matter so much in the dark.
Bf_109E-3_in_flight_(1940).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back