Hypothetical Mig-21 in WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

most of the MiG 21 versions had GSh23 built in with 250 rounds - with 2400 rounds/minute fire density/ accuracy factor is pretty much the same like M61 - extra benefit is lower weight of GSh
Agreed, but the machine gun pod may be more useful due to its larger magazine.

I am sure I have seen extra cannon pods on MiGs. You can never have too many bullets.
Hypothetically later variants can carry up to two additional UPK-23-250 - exactly the same guns like onboard one, with the same ammunition quantity. But this is only hypothetical possibility, i hardly can imagine situation when this configuration will be more effective than cluster bombs, napalm containers or even unguided missile pods i mean close support configuration. But most important is that MiG 21 was highly specialized interceptor build especially with usage of guided missiles in mind not for strafing ground targets or dogfighting.

Of course there were no Mig-21s in WWII. It's a hypothetical.

How effective would a squadron of early (maybe 1960) Mig-21s be in WWII. They have short range and about no endurance, only 60 rounds for the cannon, and a pair of early K-13 missiles. I'm trying to understand how they shoot down a 1944 fighter.

Can a 1960 missile lock onto anything without a jet exhaust? Can a Mig-21 pilot really get hits with only 60 rounds for the cannon?

And would a Sabre be better suited to WWII combat than a Mig-21? Both have blistering speed compared to anything in WWII.

On the other hand, its hard to imagine a 1960 fighter does not totally outclass anything from 1944!
I'd let the hypothetical F-4 Phantoms handle the MiGs...

Maybe not WWII but earlier...

3a74d4bb-cadf-4456-9e33-246f0bca2162_zpsftxflzcm.jpg

Not sure if K-13 is going to hit a prop job.

The only way that a MiG-21 is going to hit a prop fighter is boom and zoom or a slashing attack.

Plenty of speed and give it a squirt. One 30mm is plenty. Avoid low level and low speed.
The RAF did combat tests with a Lightning vs a Spit and came to the same conclusion.

But there was a kind of MiG-21 during WWII.
It was named Me-163 Komet. Two 30-mm cannons, short range, high speed, hit-and-run tactics..

The best modern aircraft to fight WWII would be the A10. The performance envelope is much closer to WWII aircraft. The pilot is basically impervious to most WWII weapons. The airfields could still be grass. A three round burst from the 30mm would take out anything in the sky. The wing hard points could be used for gun pods.

The best modern aircraft to fight WWII would be the A10. The performance envelope is much closer to WWII aircraft. The pilot is basically impervious to most WWII weapons. The airfields could still be grass. A three round burst from the 30mm would take out anything in the sky. The wing hard points could be used for gun pods.
Yeah, it would be kinda' cool.

I know it's been said that the A-10's concept was based on the Ju87G, but I feel that the Hs129, which was a purposed designed/built ground attack aircraft, is closer to the A-10 than anything.
Yes. Both twins. Both were built around a centerline 30 mm cannon. Although the A10 cannon assembly was 1/2 the weight of an empty HS129. Both sat the pilot in a amored bathtub.

Last edited:
Advantage of a postwar jet would be a radar gunsight. So that should give an advantage.

The issue with the A-10 is that it's performance can match late war fighters so it could find itself in trouble. The Fishbed has none of this issue.

Su-25 would be better as it has more performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back