Hypothetical Mig-21 in WWII (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Advantage of a postwar jet would be a radar gunsight. So that should give an advantage.

The issue with the A-10 is that it's performance can match late war fighters so it could find itself in trouble. The Fishbed has none of this issue.

Su-25 would be better as it has more performance.
Oddly my 1984 Janes manual only gives the top speed of the A-10 only at sea level, clean, 439 mph, and at 5000 ft with 6 Mk 82 bombs, 438 mph.
So it's top speed at altitude, clean, is unknown to me, but likely somewhat higher.
With a 6000 fpm rate of climb, and decent speed, I wouldn't think it would have much problem with any late war aircraft except the maybe the Me-262.
But it's handling and much greater rate of climb would probably give the Me-262 fits too.
It's only weakness is it's never exceed speed, 518 mph.
Several WW2 aircraft could exceed that, but trying to dive away from a A-10 before that 30mm cannon made you and your aircraft into mush might be a losing gamble.

Last edited:
Depends on stuff.

If the A-10 had to fly at a certain altitude then what is it's top speed at that altitude or more importantly it's max cruising speed at that altitude.

If it has to shoot down bombers at 20,000ft then that's it's altitude so what would be it's rate of climb or instantaneous turn rate?

Could it reach 40,000ft? What would it's performance as an interceptor be there?

Much to discuss.

Depends on stuff.

If the A-10 had to fly at a certain altitude then what is it's top speed at that altitude or more importantly it's max cruising speed at that altitude.

If it has to shoot down bombers at 20,000ft then that's it's altitude so what would be it's rate of climb or instantaneous turn rate?

Could it reach 40,000ft? What would it's performance as an interceptor be there?

Much to discuss.
It's ceiling is 45,000 feet which is as good as any WWII aircraft.
The maximum speed of 518 is with 18-500 lb bombs. I presume it would be higher in clean condition. I doubt many WWII fighters could out dive it.

The never exceed speed is not necessary related to its level speed.

It more related to a dive.

Would need a detailed breakdown of every altitude and cruise speed at every altitude and max speed at every altitude before I can pass judgement.

No idea if such a thing exists within the public domain. And even if it did we would have not know if it's correct.

Top speed is less important that you may think. Max Cruising speed in the real world could be more important.

I don't drive my Ferrari 200mph all the time!

The never exceed speed is not necessary related to its level speed.

It more related to a dive.

Would need a detailed breakdown of every altitude and cruise speed at every altitude and max speed at every altitude before I can pass judgement.

No idea if such a thing exists within the public domain. And even if it did we would have not know if it's correct.

Top speed is less important that you may think. Max Cruising speed in the real world could be more important.

I don't drive my Ferrari 200mph all the time!
I didn't say it was. I should have stated it as not to exceed speed to be clear.

Cruise speed is given as 340 mph, which is pretty good

I must confess I own no vehicle.

The only mode of transport I own is my Asics trainers. Or running shoes to our non English Kameraden.

Look how hard it was for the Luftwaffe to down the U-2s piloted by the Nacht Hexxen (Night Witches).
I find one of the counter measures very fascinating:

Attachments

• fw 189 n.JPG
    fw 189 n.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Since the U-2 could fly at 70,000 I am not surprised.
F.G. Powers the U-2 pilot shot down , grew up in my hometown, I'm know all his family.
When he was shot down in 1960 I wanted to know what a U-2 was, I went to the county library and looked in a Janes's manual, and it had only the Russian U-2 biplane.
I was pretty confused for several days until the papers showed grainy pictures of the Lockheed U-2.

For some reason, the Polikarpov U-2 is better known by it's postwar Po-2 designation.
When I looked it up in 1960, in a 1956-68 Janes all the World's Aircraft, the biplane was listed under both designations.
The Lockheed U-2 was still secret to the general aviation world at that time.
Power's family thought he was still in the USAF, flying weather surveillance missions. They found out he was working for the CIA about the time the rest of the world did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back