Hypothetical Mig-21 in WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It would seem that the Brit lessons from testing of Mach 2 vs. WW2 scenarios must have been absorbed by TOPGUN.
final countdown.jpg

The only time the Me 262 was "caught" and shot down was when it was on approach to land. All other times, no allied fighter could catch up with it. Mig 21s in large numbers in the hands of the Germans would have made daylight operations by the Allies of heavy bombers too costly. It would not have affected the end result.

The only time the Me 262 was "caught" and shot down was when it was on approach to land. All other times, no allied fighter could catch up with it. Mig 21s in large numbers in the hands of the Germans would have made daylight operations by the Allies of heavy bombers too costly. It would not have affected the end result.
Untrue. Me-262s were shot down in aerial combat by both Mustangs and Thunderbolts just to name two.

But amazing it does look like the F-14s are approaching the "zeros" from below and behind per the British test doctrine mentioned. The zeros are unaware. I would have thought they would have approached with wings swept more forward for more Vulcan time on target, but then again, no one wants to get in a turning fight with a zero. Getting to my question, was jet fuel refined as needed to keep these bad boys and Mig-21s in the air in the ww2 time continuum available?

The He280 could run Kerosene in it's Hirth engines, but the Me262 used a blend similar to JP2 for it's Jumo engines which was gasoline mixed with diesel.

The American jets (P-59, P-80) used kerosene like the Heinkel.

I beleive the F-14s in the "Final Countdown" timeline used JP4, which was a 50/50 blend of kerosene and gasoline.

I guess the logical extension of this are Mig-21s operated against the Luftwaffe at war's end. Would it be better to face such an adversary in an Me-262 or trade speed and firepower for maneuverability and less visibility to IR missiles in a Bf-109 K-4 or Fw-190D? OP is allowing early missile config on the 21's, so loading out with R4M missiles on German fighters might be the best way to allow some offensive salvo tactics against the Mig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back