I don't think I ever logged on...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NVSMITH

Airman 1st Class
Jul 26, 2011
Now that I'm routinely reading the forums and even trying to post (without sounding too much like an idiot, I hope) perhaps it's time to introduce myself. I retired from the US Army after a very long and strange career. I've always been interested in aviation; one of my schoolteachers was a Hellcat pilot and another was an NFO. I couldn't get into an aviation slot but my first assignment in Vietnam was with the 114th Aviation Company which was equipped with Huey Bs, which may give you an idea of the time frame. We had the first Huey to hit 1,000 hours. Oddly enough I again flew with the 114th many years later when the unit was stationed in Panama. Vietnam was a great place to see odd aircraft; I wish I had been smart enough to take photos.

Now that I'm routinely reading the forums and even trying to post (without sounding too much like an idiot, I hope) perhaps it's time to introduce myself. I retired from the US Army after a very long and strange career. I've always been interested in aviation; one of my schoolteachers was a Hellcat pilot and another was an NFO. I couldn't get into an aviation slot but my first assignment in Vietnam was with the 114th Aviation Company which was equipped with Huey Bs, which may give you an idea of the time frame. We had the first Huey to hit 1,000 hours. Oddly enough I again flew with the 114th many years later when the unit was stationed in Panama. Vietnam was a great place to see odd aircraft; I wish I had been smart enough to take photos.
Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum family. I take it that like me you would be around 70 years old. I was 4F and couldn't even enlist during Vietnam. Never mind photos, you were lucky to make it home.

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum family. I take it that like me you would be around 70 years old. I was 4F and couldn't even enlist during Vietnam. Never mind photos, you were lucky to make it home.
Thanks for the kind thoughts. You have the age correctly pegged. When I went for my induction physical the doctor asked me if I was a draftee or a volunteer. I told him RA (regular Army) and he said: "In that case you pass."

I happen to be 70 as well. I did report to the Induction Center when I received my Draft notice. They poked us, probed us, and gave us the sh*ttiest lunch one could ever encounter claiming that what we were about to attempt ingesting was an example of the "fine" meals that would be served during Basic Training. I was truly thankful for my 4F status when the revised card came in the mail.

gave us the sh*ttiest lunch one could ever encounter claiming that what we were about to attempt ingesting was an example of the "fine" meals that would be served during Basic Training.

They say that in the Army the coffee's mighty fine
It looks like muddy water and tastes like turpentine

They say that in the Army the chow is mighty fine
A chicken jumped off the table and killed a friend of mine

They say that in the Army the pay is might fine
They give you a hundred dollars and take back
ninety-nine

They say that in the Army the food is might fine
A roll rolled off the table and crushed a friend of mine

They say that in the Army the women are mighty fine
They look like Kruger and walk like Frankenstein

They say that in the Army the coffee is might fine
It's good for cuts and bruises and tastes like iodine

They say that in the Army the toilets are mighty fine
You flush them up at seven they come back up at nine

They say that in the Army the meat is mighty fine
Last night we had ten puppies, this morning only nine

They say that in the Army the shoes are mighty fine
You ask for size eleven they give you size nine

They say that in the Army the pancakes are mighty fine
You can try to chew them but you're only wasting time

They say that in the Army the beds are mighty fine
But how the hell should I know I've never slept in mine

I wish I had been smart enough to take photos.

A warm welcome from heart of Iran, Sir. I wish you enjoy our forum. You can post your own memos or any historical info / notes about your unit. I'm interested in military history in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back