"I Flew Them All!". Eric "winkle" Brown On Aircraft, WW2 Events, And Key Protagonists.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I always enjoyed reading his reports in the old Air Enthusiast/Air International magaines and even bought a couple of his books.
I've got some early1960's era RAF Flying Review magazines. Eric Brown often wrote articles for them.
They cost 1s,9d, or 35 cents then.
My local drugstore, in very rural Virginia, would get maybe 2 each month.
I have no idea why they started displaying them, but they fed my 12 year old flying addiction

Last edited:
I've got some early1960's era RAF Flying Review magazines. Eric Brown often wrote articles for them.
They cost 1s,9d, or 35 cents then.
My local drugstore, in very rural Virginia, would get maybe 2 each month.
I have no idea why they started displaying them, but they fed my 12 year old flying addiction
DH Clarke's What Were They Like To Fly articles were also interesting. I have my father's collection of RAF Flying Review from 1959 to the 70s

I was fortunate to know Eric and Lynn tolerably well--we exchanged visits Over There and Over Here.

Mid-late 80s: I showed them through the Champlin Fighter Museum here in Arizona. We had just entered the WW II hangar when Eric spotted the Wildcat. He stretched his arms wide, "Ah, the love of my life!"

The ambient temperature lowered about 10 degrees.

Eric, quit-thinking aviator that he was, immediately added, "Except you, my dear."

Lynn shot him a sideways glance. "Nice recovery"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back